Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco 1 replacement engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disco 1 replacement engine

Thanks to the forum for everyone's help and guidance regarding Disco 1 ownership, maintenance and repairs. This is my first post and I am hoping to give something back. If anyone thinks they may need a new engine (that's the boat I'm in) I've done a ton of research and here are the options I have come up with. Please do your own research but I hope this helps to give you a start and maybe a few options you otherwise may have overlooked.

First about my truck - its a '97, 5 speed manual, SE7 that I got 6 mos ago in non-running, ragged out, 'project' condition. It had the bones I was looking for and nice looking paint but nothing worked (I mean nothing) inside. Truck was used and abused with 187k miles so it basically sat for 6 mos while I tinkered and worked here and there on the interior electrical stuff. Truck starts fine, idles smooth, you can drive it for 5-10 miles but she drinks coolant and then overheats or boils over. As a result, I figured head gasket and left it alone while I tinkered on other stuff. So now, the other stuff is done and its time to tear into the engine.

I brought it to my mechanic (Land Rovers Unlimited in Houston) and the diagnosis: 'you need a new block'. We pressure tested the block and it passes nicely, the heads both look good, but the two rear cylinders show some discoloration from overheating. The mechanic said it isn't worth taking a chance on the block for this reason as there could be something going on behind the sleeves. So, off to find a junk yard dog and a hopefully better looking block. Unfortunately, slim pickings here in Houston, TX...so here are the other options I found:

1. Automotix
1997 Discovery Engine -- Used Land Rover Discovery Engines For Sale
· Offers used engine assemblies that have been detailed and tested / confirmed working in a running vehicle. When I called they had two engines between 120-150k miles for $1170 to $1331. They offer free shipping and a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty plus no core charge (so you keep whats in your truck). Nice because it gives 1 year piece of mind plus the option to keep your current parts and say, use your existing heads if they look better than what you get or rebuild/resell your current motor to offset the cost of the replacement. They also said I could tear down the complete engine assembly to check the block/heads/bearings/etc to confirm working order before installation without voiding the warranty

2. Roverland Parts
Discovery Engine - Complete
· They offer lower milage used engines. It appears they may put a little more into detailing and testing. Ironically, for a lower milage engineand more testing into the engine they offer only 1/4 the warrant period of Automotix (90 days); and they charge a lot more for the lower mileage engines. I was quoted $2350 + shipping for a complete engine assembly with 62k miles. In the end I decided a used engine is a used engine is a gamble either way…so I opted for the cheaper/better warranty from Automotix.

3. Used Engines For Sale, Cheap, Rebuilt, Remanufactured, and New Engine Replacement Motors
· Here is another online parts broker. They quoted me $1400 + shipping for a complete engine assembly with 157k miles plus a 90 day warranty. I am sure they would match Automotix’s prices if you found an engine with lower mileage however.

4. Turner Engineering
· From all of my research this appears to be the gold standard in rebuild long/short block Disco motors . They quoted me $5675 (including shipping)for a completely rebuild / fully assembled motor. Too bad if you don’t live in the UK because you would benefit from their engine exchange rebuild program which saves $1500 in shipping! Note they only charge $295 for shipping to the US but good luck trying to send your current assembly/block back to them for less than $1000. I searched everywhere including freight forwarders and coulding find a shipping rate that would get the rebuild option to make financial sense for someone in the US.

5. D&D Fabricators
D&D Fabrications: V8 Technical Data
· This is the US equivilant to Turner Engineering. I spoke with the guy and he knows his stuff but given Turner’s prices and the cost of oversees shipping for an engine assembly its quite apparent he knows he’s got you over a barrel and isn’t afraid to charge you for his expertise. He quotes me $6000 for a completely rebuild 4.0 V8 + a 2-to-4 month lead time.

6. Land Rover – Dallas
· The Dallas, TX dealership has OEM new 4.0 blocks for $4800 + shipping. They also offer a re-manufactured block w/ flanged liners - $5400 + shipping. Note this is for the block only! This is the only place in the US I could find an OEM new block.

7. Atlantic British
· Remanufactured block - $5495 + core + shipping

I decided to go with a $1300 assembly from Automotix. Should get it this week. Once received I'll have my guy tear it down to see how the block looks, check the main and rod bearings, rebuild the better of the two heads versus the engine Ive got now, etc, reassemble, install and then off we go for less than $3000 parts & labor.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice, thank you.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wise choice.

You know exactly the condition of all the internal parts used in your rebuild.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great information and I will most likely look into one of these recommedations in the future. Thank you.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:06 AM
TReK
Received 163 Likes on 137 Posts

Too bad you didn't post a "wanted" ad in the classifieds here before you spent over $1K on an engine. I have a nice 4.0L out of a '97 with 118K on it that you could have had for $600.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:08 AM
TReK

BTW, you realize you will void any warranty the minute you give the engine to your mechanic to tear down and rebuild. Basically, you paid $1300 for a parts motor. I don't care what someone told you, no one is going to allow you to tear down an engine, put it back together (using your heads not less) and still give you a 12 month unlimited warranty. If you believe that, I have a nice bridge over the East River I can sell you.

Last edited by Paul Grant; 10-24-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
BTW, you realize you will void any warranty the minute you give the engine to your mechanic to tear down and rebuild. Basically, you paid $1300 for a parts motor. I don't care what someone told you, no one is going to allow you to tear down an engine, put it back together (using your heads not less) and still give you a 12 month unlimited warranty. If you believe that, I have a nice bridge over the East River I can sell you.
Thanks Paul. That's a good price for your engine and I can't believe I overlooked this forum as a resource for a replacement engine! I did get a pretty good warranty however and I confirmed via email that they'd let me tear it down before installation. Since ive got an email record and I paid with Amex, if there is any problem with the engine and they give me grief over it, I'll let the folks at Amex contest it for me.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:11 AM
TReK

Glwt.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't know if these guys will sell you just an engine, or if you have to pay them to install it too:

JE Robison Service — the blog: Flanged or Top Hat Liners in Land Rover Engines

But If I needed a rebuilt engine, Their price seems about the best, with the most new parts included.

Of course in real life I'm cheap, so I'd probably just by a used engine and roll the dice.