Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco 1 won't move in gear

Old 01-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 1 won't move in gear

Guys,

My son's '97 Disco I has a weird issue...he was coming home the other night, when all of a sudden it lost power to the wheels as he was cruising at highway speed. He coasted to a stop in a parking lot, and discovered that although the engine runs fine, when he put it in any gear, it would not move. He said it made no sound at all, just quit pulling suddenly.

I figured that it must be the transfer case/neutral lever causing the issue, because all the shafts are good, the trans fluid is red and at level, and the differentials seem to be okay. I know that when you put it in Park or Reverse, you can actually roll the truck, so I guess the TC is stuck in neutral somehow.

I removed the console to get at the linkage, and it all looks good; the TC shifter is all the way to the right and to the rear, as it should be, there are no pieces missing or hanging loose, but the truck still won't move. I don't know if the linkage is jammed, but I do know that when you run it through the selections, when it goes back into Park, I get this weird clacking/zipping sound (like a pawl not locking), just for an instant, and then it stops.

I made a quick video of it for you to hear; I am running it through R,N,D,1,2,3 and back to P, when you hear the zipping noise. I did it twice; the second time is the clearest to hear (sorry for the crappy phone cam---I was doing it one-handed, while I held the flashlight):

VIDEO0008.mp4 Video by ghostsoldier | Photobucket

Any ideas what might be causing this, and what I can do to diagnose and/or fix the problem?

Thanks,
Rob

Old 01-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Maybe try turning the nipple of the TC by hand?

Old 01-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Drifting

Are you talking about this?

Should it be turned all the way outboard (right)?

Rob

Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts
Default Guess

Originally Posted by Ghostsoldier
Are you talking about this?

Should it be turned all the way outboard (right)?

Rob
Im guessing that turning it to the right would be hi and left would be low, and neutral somewhere in the middle.

But, while its open just turn one way or the other, that will diagnose your problem.

Hope I helped.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

I agree, sounds like transfer case is in neutral. The buzz or zipping sound is the transmission goung into park while turning (which is a bad thing) there is a little lever that locks in park. normally with the trans not turning, it goes right in and locks up the transmission.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Drifting

Thanks, guys....I'll give that a shot, once it warms up here later this week, and let you know what happens.

I think I'm going to pull the carpet back and cut a square access opening in the hump, and cover it with a plate and screws, to facilitate access to the linkage in future.

Rob

Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Check fluid in transfer case?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostsoldier
Thanks, guys....I'll give that a shot, once it warms up here later this week, and let you know what happens.

I think I'm going to pull the carpet back and cut a square access opening in the hump, and cover it with a plate and screws, to facilitate access to the linkage in future.

Rob
You don't need to cut a hole. Just remove the center console, drill out the rivets around both shifters, remove rivet plate, remove automatic shifter assembly(do not disconnect, just remove 4 mounting screws, pull out assembly and set to the side) now all will be exposed.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

check this thread....

https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/[help]-center-differential-lock-49175/

I'd say the CDL switch needs to turn clockwise (when viewed from above) to engage teh diff lock and counter clockwise to disengage.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the tips, guys....I'll give it a shot.

Originally Posted by TOM R
Check fluid in transfer case?
Negative...is there a dipstick on the TC to check this?

Rob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disco 1 won't move in gear