Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco 96 start problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Many times when your "friend the mechanic" works on your vehicle, especially an older Disco, if I were you, I would be closely watching what he is doing, if for no other reason to learn and if it acts up on you later you will at least have the advantage of seeing what he did, what he worked on, where it is, etc.

Don't mis-interpret this as a slam aganst you or him, but if he is not familar with the Disco I, that may be an item of concern. I have seen multiple horror stories of mechanics screwing things up on these beast and then you face a multitude of expensive replacements, especially if either of you are inadvertantly breaking or damaging things.

A local shop ruined all my chrome capped lug nuts forcing them off then back on with the wrong size socket on their impact wrench. And to make it worse, I had both a four-way lug wrench and the correct factory lug wrench in the back and told them to use them. Now nobody touches it without me being there. No more drop it off and pick it up in a day or two. I replaced all the lug nuts with the solid ones and I learned a valuable lesson, and it only cost me a Hundred Bucks and i don't go back to that shop anymore.

If you are going to keep it, download the RAVE and use it to learn about the Disco. If you are already beat down by it, then sell it. That may be your most cost effective situation.

All education cost something, whether it is from life or an Institution of Higher Learning. Have a serious talk with yourself as you are at the Point Of No Return.

Welcome to the world of Discovery ownership. It is an adventure.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chirmoney
UPDATE: The LR was started up today with no problem. So, my mechanic thinks the solenoid needs to be rebuilt. Agree or disagree?

Well, you can keep giving him your hard earned money, or YOU can check for 12v @ the small terminal on solenoid when it won't crank.

I personally think the ign. switch is suspect - but it could be the solenoid.

As a mech, I generally show what I found so there is no second guessing like we're doing.

As such, I would do the solenoid for free if that did not resolve the issue.

These things are not magic - virtually any reputable mechanic can do decent work on them.

If you trust him, let him show you the old solenoid after you pay him to replace it.

luck,greg

Old 07-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is your key problem, the truck is not all the way in park.
Take a small flat blade screw driver and pop the trim piece out of the top of the egar shift ***, tighten that nut, replace trim piece.

As for the no start, replace the starter.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_539242832___

Or buy a used one.
www.roverlandparts.com
www.autosportsunlimited.com
www.car-part.com