Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disconnect switch for slow battery drain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disconnect switch for slow battery drain?

Any wisdom on a battery disconnect for a slow battery drain that has defied troubleshooting.

Looking at this product, which disconnects when voltage begins to drop.

Amazon.com: Priority Start 12-Volt-Pro-SP PriorityStart Automatic Battery Protector: Automotive Amazon.com: Priority Start 12-Volt-Pro-SP PriorityStart Automatic Battery Protector: Automotive

Then reconnects when key inserted.

I'm having a persistent slow drain (3-5 days). No issues for overnight or regular use.

$80 seems cheaper, at least as an interim solution, than electrical troubleshooting.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I have one of these on my trail truck.
Amazon.com: NOCO ID220S 6V-24V 125 Amp Battery Disconnect Switch: Automotive Amazon.com: NOCO ID220S 6V-24V 125 Amp Battery Disconnect Switch: Automotive
It was even cheaper at Menards, maybe $3? Install on the negative terminal. Turn the screw clockwise to connect, counter-clockwise to disconnect. Super easy and cheap.
I actually have that same switch installed on my Dodge Van which has an issue with the BCM. The resolution is to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Much easier with that little switch.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I liked about the more expensive, automatic option was that I didn't need to get under the hood or remember to flip a switch.

It automatically senses if battery is draining below where it will still start. But otherwise it stays connected.

One other ignorant question: does disconnecting the battery reset the ECU? How big a deal is that?

Old 12-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You can use it to protect a no start, but you are eventually going to have to charge battery on occasion. when it turns off at safe voltage, you have to drive it long enough to bring voltage back to specs and start all over again. If 9.6V is the minimum an engine will start does the electric shut own before this, as you cannot charge battery enough to stop and have electric shut down then not have the least voltage to start again. Back to square one. A manual disconnect will turn off while at 12V and turn back on at 12V.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbalu
One other ignorant question: does disconnecting the battery reset the ECU? How big a deal is that?
It would probably reset the radio so keep the code handy. Interesting that the amazon listing says they may be new or used.

I use the manual switch on most of my seldom run vehicles, although if left long enough batteries can self drain, and sometimes these Chinese manual switches cause their own problems with bad contact.