Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery 98 Fuel Injector Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Discovery 98 Fuel Injector Upgrade

I intend on replacing all the fuel injectors and the rail in my Disco when the engine is picked and rebuilt. Now Ive already asked this question in one of my other posts but no one really got around to answering it so here it is now:

Would "Bosch" upgraded/remanufractured fuel injectors be a good choice for the swap? According to the add (see ebay link below) the stock injectors are "inferior" and of an older design. These Bosch upgrade fuel injectors suppodisly address the issue and increase flow and overall performance of engine. So would this be a wise choice? Or should I just go with new "stock" fuel injectors? The price for either set below is well within my price range and I have no problem getting either one, just need to make sure I buy the right set the first time if ya know what I mean. Personally I think Id go with the Bosch upgrade injectors (red ones) but again Im no expert.

Disclaimer:
I'm not worried about the price tag so please to do not me that I need to go buy a jeep! I just need to know what best for my Disco. Remember its be beat pretty bad and its my responsibility to make sure that it gets all the proper care! Ill worry about the price tag, everyone else pleae just advise me on my engine in need!

8 Fuel Injectors 97 Land Rover Discovery 4.0 UPGRADE - eBay (item 250791013221 end time Mar-26-11 11:33:08 PDT)

Then their are these fuel injectors. They look different and are alittle cheaper.

96 97 98 Land Rover Discovery Fuel injectors 4.0L V8 - eBay (item 270723875966 end time Mar-31-11 14:27:00 PDT)

Old 03-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought from PerformanceEFI for my '94 3.9L. They insisted on sending the Gen/Design II injectors vice the IIIs. They claimed there have been fitment issues with Land Rovers and the IIIs. Three major differences I see between the IIs and IIIs: size/material of the body, spray pattern (don't believe anyone who says that they have the exact same pattern because they both have a 4-hole design. This video shows 24lb injectors [the recommended Bosch replacement for our engines is the 19lb] but that shouldn't make a difference on the spray pattern. The IIIs do a better job of atomizing the fuel: YouTube - comparison of Bosch 3 to Early design Bosch 2), and the fact that the IIs have the provision for the rail clips and the IIIs don't. As this was my first time doing injectors, I appreciated having the IIs for that clip provision. I thought I had the rails pressed down well enough, but when I went to install the clips, it was very clear the rail was not fully seated on the injectors. This very piece is probably why the seller insisted on the IIs vice the IIIs.

I will say my old injectors hadn't been removed and rebuilt ever, as far as I know (I'm the second owner). So, when I say that the engine seems to run/accelerate smoother may be a result of the different spray pattern and/or the old injectors being filthy, new being fully rebuilt.

As far as better fuel economy, I haven't gotten a full tank through it yet post-swap. I'm chasing other issues. I have read some folks have experienced a noticeable drop in economy; I hope that's not the case for me. I did save the factory injectors in case the mpg drops a bunch and/or I have concerns that the new injectors are the source of a problem. I can track down a local rebuilder and pop the originals back in. Plenty others rave about the upgrade and most recommend the Gen/Design IIIs.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude really? you are talking about rebuilding an engine in a truck whos body won't even pass your state inspection cause of rust. we love our rovers here, but that just isn't smart. Do watch car show on tv, like power block, they are always saying you need a plan from the start or you wind up spending way too much money. you need to start off with a good foundation, these aren't muscle cars where it doesn't matter how bad the car is its worth restoring. these are easy to find for cheap. you are mistaking being an idiot for being an enthusiast. If you traded a perfectly good Jeep for the crappy disco you got, then you got screwed and need to listen to the people on this forum or you will keep gettting screwed. I'm not trying to be a a-hole but i resent the fact you come on a forum and lecture people on how we are enthusiasts and should want to help you make dumb decisions. I haven't been here as long as some but I like to think people recognise my name and see that I'm helpful and have worked through some of the common issues we have with these trucks and can add to the pool of expirience.... So take a step back look at what you got, a somewhat running engine, tranny? good or bad? transfer case?axles? driveshafts= toast, body= swiss cheese. maybe find a good body that needs an engine and tranny($500 tops) put your engine and trans in, just think about your end product, you don't want a nice running truck that looks like crap and is about to fall apart. I think any way you cut it a nice looking/running, reliable disco can be had for $3000-3500 all day long no ifs ands or buts.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I said this is one of your other threads, dont worry about the engine right now, just do a couple of engine flushes and then remove the oil pan and make sure the oil pickup screen is not clogged.
Get the truck driveable and able to pass inspection.
You are going about this all backwards.
1-Make it driveable.
2-pass insopection
3-work in the steering components, tie rods etc.
4-service the bearings and brakes.
5-repair and driveline issues, thats engine, transmission, etc.
6-then interior
7-exterior

Break it all down and focus on one piece at a time, if you dont you will never get her up to par.
When you build a house you start in the basement and finish with the roof and siding, same thing here.

We are not trying to be dicks, just trying to help.

I understand what you did, you bought the cheapest Disco you could and are going to fix it one paycheck at a time, thats fine, but do it in the correct order.

Last edited by Spike555; 03-26-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:58 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well you know what PT Barnum said about a fool and his money and a sucker also.

Apparently he has plenty of disposable income so we should just bite our tongues and help him find ways to readily dispose of it guys. What the hell do we really know.

Jump right in the water's fine.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright fine fine fine. I'll wait on the engine for now. I'll just get the shaft and rods serviced for now and try to save portions of my paychecks for another disco. In the mean time ill just try to keep my disco driveable.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowMerchantBC
Alright fine fine fine. I'll wait on the engine for now. I'll just get the shaft and rods serviced for now and try to save portions of my paychecks for another disco. In the mean time ill just try to keep my disco driveable.
I like to look at upgrades that I know I can't afford and are last on my list of priorities too. It is fun to dream of the day you can throw a supercharger on there(I doubt that day will ever come for me). But if you start installing performance parts on an engine that isn't running great, you can end up with more problems later. A good example is ngarover's running rich problem. He installed those ford injectors, then removed them thinking they could be part of the problem when(iirc) they weren't. If you have limited time and funds, best to start at the beginning and when you get to the end, stop. Don't throw a 3" suspension on a vehicle with no driveline. Don't put a supercharger on a vehicle that won't stay running. Don't get your vehicle painted when it has rust issues.

Ask my wife, I am always asking her if I can do all kinds of crap, and thankfully she helps me bring my focus back to reality.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude,
Ask my wife, I am always asking her if I can do all kinds of crap, and thankfully she helps me bring my focus back to reality.

Does she slap you first to get your attention or does she tell you first then slap you to make her point stick?

My wife hates it when I call a Rover supplier, of course I start off with something that she knows we really need then "to save on shipping" I add on a few goodies almost every time.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Dude,

Does she slap you first to get your attention or does she tell you first then slap you to make her point stick?

My wife hates it when I call a Rover supplier, of course I start off with something that she knows we really need then "to save on shipping" I add on a few goodies almost every time.
Fortunately, she doesn't slap...usually she just waves a bill in front of my face
But like you, I always add a few other items to "save on shipping"