Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery capabilities/tire/lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011 | 10:42 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
well rubicon is not stock parts.

a range rover has more unessisary computers that F up. neither is better, discovery is just simple.. and different design.
I mean as far as offroad goes.

Old 02-24-2011 | 06:07 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rover11
I'm not saying jeeps are better. A rubicon is a stock model of a jeep. Doesn't the Discovery come with locking differentials? Or does that lock the transfer case?
No a Land Rover does not come with locking diffs, just a locking t-case.
As far which is better a RR or a Disco, A Range Rover Classic and the DI are the same truck but different t-case.

Ask the guy you bought the truck from what grade of gas he used and why the engine was replaced.

Old 02-24-2011 | 06:07 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tweakrover
owners manual says 90 or 92 octane.
Mine says 91 or higher.

Old 02-24-2011 | 10:26 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
No a Land Rover does not come with locking diffs, just a locking t-case.
As far which is better a RR or a Disco, A Range Rover Classic and the DI are the same truck but different t-case.

Ask the guy you bought the truck from what grade of gas he used and why the engine was replaced.
The engine had high miles and he got a newer one for cheap.

Old 02-24-2011 | 11:02 AM
Mudding
Default hey

In Alaska our Premium fuel is only 90 octane so should I be running a bottle of octane boost everyonce in awhile?.

Also, NOT TO PUT ANYONE down but why is that video of the white Disco driving through the flooded paved road so special?. I've seen that video on here and the guy who posted it makes it out to be some EPIC water crossing, It is not, its pavement underneath and the water isnt even that deep. NICE disco BTW, but watching the video I was like "OK..........and then........". My wifes Grand Cherokee coulda did that honestly. I'm going to build my Disco with just 3" of lift and some 32" tires in the end. And NO Disco's wont go 95% of anywhere you wanna go...........I only say that because here in Alaska a rig on 36" tires is still really to small to go "Anywhere" we go. Even a Disco on 35's locked front and rear would NOT follow me and my friends where we go on a regular occasion. I'm not saying that LR's aren't awesome rigs, they are imptressive in stock form. I guess its what you guys define as "WILL GO ALMOST ANYWHERE". Most the trails up here make the Camel Trophy look tame to be honest. My real trail rig is a 78 Blazer, full one ton axles, lockers front and rear, 42" TSL Swampers, NO WAY ANY DISCO could follow me no matter how much articulation the disco might have, it just doesnt have the clearance. That being said the Disco is an awesome trail rig and WILL do 95% of the trails that you want.............if your not a hardcore wheeler. I wanted the dico because its nice to drive, the coils at all 4 corners are so sweet. My Blazer is so rough and uncomfortable and My kidneys would not survive a LONG off-road adventure such as the Camel Trophy in the Blazer. So yes, if your version of "Off-Roading" is a few ruts, 6" of mud, and some smores around the campfire then yes the Disco will get you where you wanna go. You guys are right however, the Disco is far superior in Stock form that most other makes and models.

Old 02-24-2011 | 11:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555

And finish off with my favorite video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tQ2Tp3u_f8
Spike, is your radio broken? If not, why isn't Love Shack bangin in that video?!?!?!?! Don't lose your edge!

Old 02-24-2011 | 12:18 PM
Pro Wrench

You can take any vehicle anywhere with the right equipment. And go around/over the bad stuff.

Old 02-24-2011 | 12:36 PM
Mudding
Default Hey

You can take any vehicle anywhere with the right equipment. And go around/over the bad stuff.

No you cant. I am a firm believer that capable rigs in the hands of capable drivers with capable recovery equipment can go to places you never thought was possible, BUT sometimes YOU CANT JUST GO AROUND. Yeah you can I guess drag your rig through everyhole with a Good Winch but thats not Off-Roading fun. Also having to drag your truck throuigh an entire trail WILL burn out your Winch eventually or your truck WILL sustain heavy damage while doing so. I'm just saying there are trails up here that literally SWALLOW 46"x24" AG tires on fully locked rigs. I'm sorry but if some of our trucks up here in our 4x4 club have problems on 44" and up tires, lockers front and rear, 4 linked suspension, scoring into the 1100's on the RTI ramps..........then theres NO WAY a Disco on 33's, 35's etc etc can hang UNLESS you want to drag your truck through the entire trail........in which case you wont be asked to go because we dont wanna wait all day on your as* all day. NOT that we dont welcome everyone BUT there are planned trips where we say either say its for the "big boys" only or its for everyone. If its for the big boys then the intermediate tired/Built rigs need not apply.

Old 02-24-2011 | 12:37 PM
TReK

Ditto. It all depends on your wants and needs(and, of course, your disposable income). I need an offroad capable vehicle, but my wife wants a vehicle with a comfortable ride. Had to get rid of the Jeeps and the Tracker and Samurai. Not comfy enough for her. Disco is plenty capable and comfy.

Old 02-24-2011 | 12:43 PM
Mudding

Also, sometimes there are no Winch points for hundreds of yards, we rely on HP, Momentum, and flotation to keep us on top of the Tundra/permafrost/ ground without falling through to atleast 3-4 feet of mud below. When we do fall through we are swallowed and its a real bitc* to get out, thats when you rely on your other buddies rigs and recovery knowledge to get you out. Like I said sometimes the only way is either to turn around or go ahead, no "easy lines" "bypass trails" etc etc. I'm just speaking from experience, I live this **** every spring and summer.

Quick Reply: Discovery capabilities/tire/lift