Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010 | 03:00 PM
Default See pics

Glad to hear you are getting a new fuel pump. That is the smartest way to go. I would go ahead and cut the existing fuel lines right on top of the existing fuel pump, I don't see you being able to disconnect them normally with that degree of corrosion present.

Clean the existing one real good before you attempt to remove the pump. You don't want that crud getting in your gas tank! That should be a red plastic ring with slots that can be removed with a large flat bladed screwdriver and a hammer or mallet. Tap steady like a drum beat don't try to knock it loose with a huge hit. It may take a bit to get it started. Clean it as good as possible first.

You may very well need new fuel lines as well. Mine were pretty bad, I replaced them all the way. Just bought a 25 foot coil of 5/16 inch steel fuel tubing.

Take a look at my photo albums. Here's a few pic below. My fuel filter had rusted to it's clamp and developed a pinhole leak. The fuel lines were severely corroded as well.

Attached Thumbnails Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix-disco-april-2-2010-076.jpg   Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix-disco-april-2-2010-073.jpg   Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix-disco-april-2-2010-071.jpg   Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix-disco-april-2-2010-068.jpg   Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix-disco-april-2-2010-051.jpg  

Old 05-06-2010 | 08:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Great picts!. How far did you have to go with the ring before it released? Got the parts today from RoversNorth. Hope it doesn't rain too much in the weekend (gotta work outside).

Old 05-06-2010 | 08:48 PM
Team Owner

The difference is a advanced EVAP loss system and a non advanced EVAP loss system.

All Disco's from mid '97 on are advanced EVAP loss but their computer shows different things.
Autozones computer shows the '97 DI as having the 3.9L engine when the 4.0 was introduced in '96 to the NAS models.

Those guys know nothing, all they are going by is what the computer screen tells them.

Old 05-10-2010 | 12:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Job's done!

Old ring was hell to get out. It was disintegrating when I hit it, but did not turn. I thought the worst was done when I got the old pump out.

Putting the new ring in was tough. I needed a helper to put lots of pressure on the pump and seal to be able to engage the new ring in the threads. It kept popping out.

Ended up heating the ring with a hairdryer before trying again...successfully (it was cold outside, bringing it up to "indoor" temp did help.

I finally found 5/16 quick disconnects in a local countryside repair shop after going to autoparts stores (incl. NAPA) that didn't have anything.

Attached Thumbnails Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix-img_4031-1.jpg  
Old 06-22-2010 | 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'll bet that heat shrink you put on the sending unit wire has dissolved away.

Anyway, great write up and it helped me.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2010 | 10:16 PM

As far as the rubber sealing ring, I first tried it with the rubber on the edge of the pump and pushing it into the opening - not the way to do it.

Then I decided to mount the rubber seal to the opening in the tank, seat it, lubed the inside circumference of the rubber ring with a coating of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly, not too much but enough to lube it good.

Then ease the new pump into the opening being careful not to push the ring into the tank. That worked pretty good. Just use finesse instead of force and a little Vaseline helps.

I drove it for a day with the black plate off so I could verify the absence of leaks.

Old 08-03-2010 | 07:51 AM
1st Gear
Default Very nice

Thank you very much for such an awesome explination.
My question is this the same for a 1998 disco as well?

My father said he didnt see an easy way for the carpet to come up.

Thank you again.

Tony

Old 10-16-2010 | 07:00 PM
7th Gear

Thanks you for the help.
I am back on the road again after seeing your pictures and being able to follow your instructions.

Thanks once again.

Old 10-17-2010 | 04:05 PM

I am glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem. I do try to be helpful, but lots of people just think of me as a crude redneck that makes stinging remarks about something they did or said. See I do have a good side as well.

"Just don't flip your Rover Over."

Old 10-18-2010 | 01:03 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
See I do have a good side as well.
You start telling people that and you are going to damage your reputation. lol.

Quick Reply: Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix