Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010 | 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by discomedic4
You start telling people that and you are going to damage your reputation. lol.

To quote one of my favorite comics: " Now that's funny, I don't give a damn who you are." (Larry the Cable Guy of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. Jeff Foxwothy, Bill Envel, and Ron White).

Me and my High Horse thank you.

Old 11-14-2010 | 07:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Ooops. After several months of happy driving with my new pump, I got some fuel leak mid-way under the passenger seat (nice lace to collect moisture and dirt). Guess the whole line is turning into swiss cheese and I'll renew it as you did. Did you have to drop the tank to rip the old lines out and get access to the ends or simply fed the new from above as you described it?

Old 11-15-2010 | 07:35 PM

You do not need to drop the tank. What i found to be the simplest way to do it was to buy a 25 foot coil of the 5/16 steel fuel tubing. Remove the access plate in the rear cargo floor.

You can feed the tubing from the cargo area thru the opening a few feet at a time. The tubing pretty easy to form by hand, just be gentle with it and do not kink it. I did not follow the routing of the original tubing. I basically improved it.

I went over the large frame member to keep the tubing up out of the way (the large round one going across the rear of the vehicle), then bent it outboard to the boxed frame member. I basically ran it along the top of the frame member.

I also repositioned the fuel filter out of the wheel well area to a point along the outboard side of the frame member. I continued along the frame member to the front wheel well area and then bent it again to get into the engine bay.

Having a second person help will speed up the process as one can feed the line from the rear cargo area while the other one works underneath the vehicle routing and bending the tubing as needed.

A 25 foot coil was just enough to take care of both the feed and return lines with just a little bit left over. I put in a fuel filter that just had straight nipples instead of a threaded junction. A short piece of fuel rated tubing with clamps did fine to tie the new line to the new fuel filter, as well as the fuel pump connections. At the fuel rails in the engine compartment, the original lines were intact enough to cut them off at an easily accessable location and used the rubber hose and clamps at that end as well.

It's been in place for over a year with no problems. I also had to replace the fuel feed hose from the filler to the gas tank because the old one was severely cracked and started to leak there as well when refueling. I cut off a piece of the old rubber hose and slipped it over the new fuel filter to avoid having it rub the frame. You can support the new fuel lines with clamps mounted directly to the frame.

I will have to look thru my pictures when I have more time to see if I have any of the new fuel lines in place. If you look at my photo album you will see some pics of the old fuel lines. I was amazed at how badly corroded they were. Every place where the fuel line was in a factory clamp, it developed a small leak when removed from the clamp for other maintenace. Also the old fuel filter had corroded to the clamp holding it in place and sprung a pinhole leak there as well.

Good luck with it.

Old 11-18-2010 | 04:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for your input!

I'll drive to Napa this week to get some fuel line and clamps.

Old 03-08-2011 | 09:33 AM
Drifting
Default Fuel Sending

That was a great play by play. I just came back from reading codes due to my Check Engine coming on and it read that my fuel sending unit was bad. So you think I should attempt this (I am not mechanically inclined towards autos)?

Cheers,
Eoghan

97 Discovery SD

Old 03-08-2011 | 06:31 PM

Unless you got plenty of disposable income you are anxious to get rid of you should definitely do it yourself. I hate to think what a shop or dealer would charge for such a repair.

In my situation, I am the best damn mechanic that I can afford to have do it. I waited a while but nobody came rushing over to do it for me.

If you are really hesitant, you can pay my travel cost and I will come up and do it for you when the weather turns nice again. I would only charge for travel and lodging and food and beverages of course. i would do the repair work free otherwise.

I have always wanted to see Maine and havew nothing better to do. Plenty of free time on my hands.

Old 05-04-2012 | 04:34 PM
1st Gear

HI new to forum. the pics on the original post are not showing up for me was wondering if some one could reload them..or maybe problem on my end. i just see black and white ! marks where pics should be. thank you. awsome right up the pics would make it even better

Old 07-10-2012 | 04:33 AM
5th Gear

thanks for all the info i used it to replace the fuel pump on my 1998 disco checked for leaks did all the steps runs awesome but didnt think to look at the fuel gauge and it reads empty with light on went and filled up still reads empty w/light it was a brand new fuel pump and unit is there a fues or anything like that that could have popped..

Old 07-10-2012 | 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CRAZYED13
thanks for all the info i used it to replace the fuel pump on my 1998 disco checked for leaks did all the steps runs awesome but didnt think to look at the fuel gauge and it reads empty with light on went and filled up still reads empty w/light it was a brand new fuel pump and unit is there a fues or anything like that that could have popped..
You arent getting a signal for the fuel level.

Check that the electric plugs (the one at the pump, and the one under the drivers-side rear wheel well) that go to the fuel pump are clean and not corroded.

Old 07-11-2012 | 03:16 AM
5th Gear

thanks i will check it out first thing.. my pump has the 4 prong connector and the 3 prong connector do you know what connecter would control the fuel level reading and go to the fuel gauge just trying to narrow the wires to chase? thanks again

Quick Reply: Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix