Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012 | 09:27 PM
8th Gear

Had an issue starting today after sitting a week. Once it started once it has been fine since, could hear it cranking just would not turn over so ruled out battery and alternator. Thinking fuel related. Looking at the fittings on the filter doubt its been done, going to be a challenge to remove I think. Any additional thoughts?

Old 09-24-2012 | 12:29 PM
Drifting

I thought the same thing when I replaced the filter during a fuel pump change. I was convinced the old filter had never been touched. My suggestion would be to soak both sides with PB Blaster or equivelant the night before. Then definitely go with two wrenches using the push/pull method to loosen the fittings. Be very careful as there are orings on the fuel lines that must stay in place during the installation or you'll have a pisser when the system pressurizes. Even so the whole job took me less than 40mins and I struggled to break the lines loose. Wish I could remember what size wrenches I used but if you have a tree of open end wrenches it will be easy enough to figure out.....Hope this helps.

Old 09-24-2012 | 03:06 PM
Mudding
Default Pictures?

Why do the pictures not work on my browser? I really want to see this since I have the same issue. Any suggestions! I have tried on Safari and Chrome.

Old 12-24-2012 | 01:48 PM
Mudding

I hate reviving old threads as well, but the above poster has a point... the pics on original post aren't showing up. This is the only write-up I have found that deals with the fuel gauge not working on my '99 Disco I.

I'm tired of walking. I need to fix this thing... why aren't the pics actually working?

Last edited by tooltech; 12-24-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2012 | 02:43 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by tooltech
I hate reviving old threads as well, but the above poster has a point... the pics on original post aren't showing up. This is the only write-up I have found that deals with the fuel gauge not working on my '99 Disco I.

I'm tired of walking. I need to fix this thing... why aren't the pics actually working?
Because the links are dead. The pics no longer exist wherever that guy hosted them. Pull your fuel pump out, everything is pretty obvious.
Or just fill up every 200 miles.

Old 12-25-2012 | 08:10 AM
Mudding

Ok first off, not everything is "pretty obvious". I got all the lines off the pump, but now what? A friend of mine said that the plastic ring around the pump is threaded and screws off counter clockwise. Nowhere have I seen this or read this before. I have tried all my might and even used flatheads, hammers, and my mental powers... it's not turning.

I'm not usually such a dummy, but this thing has got me cussing. Grrr... I don't mind having to fill up every couple hundred miles or so, but I just don't want to. I could also let my side marker hang out the side like a popped out eyeball.. I could let my headliner continue to fall down too, but I just don't want to.. I could also forget about fixing the rear defrost and broken washer wiper... you see where I'm going with this?

Old 12-25-2012 | 11:45 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by tooltech
Ok first off, not everything is "pretty obvious". I got all the lines off the pump, but now what? A friend of mine said that the plastic ring around the pump is threaded and screws off counter clockwise. Nowhere have I seen this or read this before. I have tried all my might and even used flatheads, hammers, and my mental powers... it's not turning.

I'm not usually such a dummy, but this thing has got me cussing. Grrr... I don't mind having to fill up every couple hundred miles or so, but I just don't want to. I could also let my side marker hang out the side like a popped out eyeball.. I could let my headliner continue to fall down too, but I just don't want to.. I could also forget about fixing the rear defrost and broken washer wiper... you see where I'm going with this?
You can download the RAVE manual here: land rover service factory manual RAVE download land rover resource, service manual, workshop factory manual, download, rave, vehicles including discovery, series, defender, range rover, freelander, LR3, Handbooks, Catalog, Catalogue, Land Rover Inte
After you do that, open up the DI section and go to "Fuel system, SFI" then find page 19 in the repair section of that and you will find an illustration of the retaining ring.

Old 12-25-2012 | 01:42 PM
Camel Trophy

You should also plan on replacing that ring that retains the pump. Your profile says you have a '99 D1 so that ring should be metal. Get a long punch and a 2-3lb hammer, it'll bust loose. You'll also want to replace the rubber sealing ring. It will take a fair amount of prying to get the pump out. I use some of those 90* flat tip screwdrivers that come with the sets sold by Sears.

Old 01-03-2013 | 09:29 AM
Mudding

I used some big channel lock pliers to span the **** on the ring..

Spun it right off.. Was the easiest part of the job...

John

Old 05-07-2013 | 05:17 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
A few more pics and comments. I tore into mine due to corroded fuel lines had sprung pinhole leaks at multiple points: by engine compartment, along the frame at several clamp locations, and the filter itself sprung leak in the body where the clamp corroded and attached itself physically to the body of the filter. I ended up replacing the lines from the tank to the engine bay, actually right to the rubber of the fuel rail input and to the hard line return from the fuel pressure regulator. I subbed in a ford filter I happened to have on hand. Improved the routing from the tank and repositioned the filter out of the wheel well along the frame. Will take pics of that when completed tomorrow. Here's a few of the progress so far.

I also replaced the tank fill tube due to original being cracked. It was a lot easier after I got that extra mud flap hanging panel out of the damn way.
Love that Fat Max line of tools from Stanley. The anti-vibration design lessens the fatigue factor.

Does anyone know what the broken line is I am holding in the first picture? It is by the fill tube.
Did you ever find out what the broken line was? I have the same broken line.

Quick Reply: Discovery I Fuel Pump Removal / Fix