Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Doesn't start from time to time after driving and parked

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 04:39 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doesn't start from time to time after driving and parked

My 96' Rover doesn't want to start from time to time after I have driven it and parked, I had to have it towed only to start it right up in my driveway when I brought it home. It has not been an issue from a cold start. I was told to replace the speed sensor, should I be looking at the cam position sensor? Faulty fuel pump? Don't know where to start. I have spark and it will fire with starter fluid when it does this. Thanks for any input.

bsmcpher

Old 03-25-2020, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Test Fuel Pressure at the rail, check fuel pump relay, fuel pump wiring (frame to fuel pump section)

Old 03-26-2020, 07:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i may be speaking out my rear on this, since i drive a 95 but- i had a similar problem, not nearly so severe. The culprit was the water temp sensor.

From what i can deduce, with the sensor not working, the computer thinks the engine is dead cold and chokes the engine, causing it to flood. normally this happens when i would either go on a short trip or let the engine cool for about 10 minutes. When starting, i kept my foot off the fuel and it took two cranks to start. if it didnt start on the second time, i learned to sit back and wait for 5 minutes to let her clear, especially if i was in the "zone" for flooding. The more i cranked, the longer it took to clear.

i had the problem fixed (had been reinstalled incorrectly) and now she starts right up.

I might be way off base on this.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:22 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Johnny K
i may be speaking out my rear on this, since i drive a 95 but- i had a similar problem, not nearly so severe. The culprit was the water temp sensor.

From what i can deduce, with the sensor not working, the computer thinks the engine is dead cold and chokes the engine, causing it to flood. normally this happens when i would either go on a short trip or let the engine cool for about 10 minutes. When starting, i kept my foot off the fuel and it took two cranks to start. if it didnt start on the second time, i learned to sit back and wait for 5 minutes to let her clear, especially if i was in the "zone" for flooding. The more i cranked, the longer it took to clea

i had the problem fixed (had been reinstalled incorrectly) and now she starts right up.

I might be way off base on this.
Thanks, I will check that out. Sounds exactly like what mine is doing.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

check the roll over valve on the firewall. mine had burned connections in the wire connector that would lose contact. replaced connector and no more problems.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:20 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would start with checking the Crankshaft Position Sensor.
Faulty one may cause engine cut / won't start issues.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear

Any ideas why cam position sensors range in price from $40 - $269 depending on the site? I am assuming the higher price one is OEM and the cheap one is made in China. Will the cheap one do?