Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

The dreaded leaking sunroof???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately, removal of the sunliner is necessary to gain access to the area to correct the problem. As was stated, there are two main items that leak.

1. The drain tubes can get clogged and not drain properly which will overflow and leak. If the tubes got punctured then somebody used the wrong screws as that should not occur. So pull the headliner and see what iti is.

2. The corners of the metal track are sealed at the factory with a blacl silicone caulking. Mine developed a drip right above the drivers seat.

I see no sense in trying to seal a sunroof unless you are just too lazy or busy or whatever you want to call it to take out the headliner and correct the real issue.

I enjoy my sunroofs way to much to even consider sealing them. If you feel otherwise, that is up to you. It is yours so do what you will with it. The headliner has nothing to do with the AC unless you are referring to the rear air. And I do not know if that comes into play either.

The reason the headliner sags is due to the foam layer between the cloth and the fiberglass form comes apart with age.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 01-10-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I see no sense in trying to seal a sunroof unless you are just to lazy or busy or whatever you want to call it to take out the headliner and correct the real issue.

I enjoy my sunroofs way to much to even consider sealing them. If you feel otherwise, that is up to you.
what about if you have a roof rack that inhbits the opening of the sunroofs?

mine are still functional. for now. however my truck isnt a DD and opening them on the trail they sound like they are going to snap at the rails. last time i had the rear open it got stuck open and it started raining. had to have someone jump up and give it a push to get it started. have not opened them since.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I found this on the net about installing a new headliner, nice replaccement with pics

The best amateur photography lives on Webshots

Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine off last week. Caulked up the drain plugs, adding some new hose where it was all dried out and smashed in one area, cleaned out both drain hoses and it rained today and guess what...still leaks! lol

What I have figured out that might be the cause is that my rover is lifted about 2 inches and it seems that the rear of the car might be a tad higher than the front which might not allow the water to drain out the rear and fill up the rear sunroof causing it to overflow into the cabin. I'm going to test this out soon.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
the headliner will sag no matter the sunroof leaking or not. thats why i made the painting the headboard write up in the tech section. no more fabric = no more sagging
i have rear ac.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could easily be tubes, sunroof seals themselves, window seals. Alpines are notorious. Headliner could redirect leak from almost anywhere on the roof to anywhere else. Danny posted the water ingress guide for most common points. IMO, you have to pull the headliner and check/shore up every possible point of entry. If you don't do a complete job, rain will get in, destroy the new headliner and make you do it all again. Kinda sucks and I'm starting it now after letting it cause far too much damage.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Mudding

I parked it up on the curb so the front end was higher than the rear.....

and no leaks... Now I have to figure out how I can make it drain sitting normally.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Overlanding

Does any of this apply to a DII? Because my wife's has a leak and I am just assuming that it is coming from one of the sunroofs. The thing is, it only leaks when parked in the driveway head first slightly up hill.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
Does any of this apply to a DII? Because my wife's has a leak and I am just assuming that it is coming from one of the sunroofs. The thing is, it only leaks when parked in the driveway head first slightly up hill.
makes sense, the drain channels are at the front of the sunroof assembly, with the truck angled uphill the water is going to overflow the drip rail and leak if the sunroof seal isnt good..

Old 01-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Clean

Yes, D1 and D2 sunroofs are exactly the same, totally interchangable( i believe).

Last edited by kenk; 01-14-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: The dreaded leaking sunroof???