Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Driveline Play Clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012 | 10:27 AM
|
Pro Wrench
Default Driveline Play Clunk?

I've noticed lately, and even more with the t-case shifter rubber removed, clunking when transitioning from acceleration to deceleration, and vice versa. It seems to be coming from the driveshaft area and its related play. Is this normal? I greased everything well a month ago.

Old 01-27-2012 | 11:08 AM
Administrator

So, when was the last time you inspected and serviced your U-Joints, how about your t/case, when did you last check the fluid level and change the fluid?
A little clunk is normal.

Old 01-27-2012 | 11:16 AM
|
Pro Wrench

When I greased the U-joints I did a visual inspection looking for anything out of place, though I'm no driveline expert. I tried to rotate the shafts by hand to check for play and they wouldn't budge. I changed the t-case fluid last weekend but it didn't seem to make a difference. Guess I'll have to get under there and really push and prod everything.

Old 01-27-2012 | 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Might be time to replace U joint(s). Not very epensive, but you'll need a press or a big vise, it'll will need more than two hammers on the patio. Nice write up in tech section for D2 propshaft, parts and techniques very similar.

Old 01-27-2012 | 12:28 PM
Administrator

Did you get grease from the u-joint cups when you greased them, what weight gear oil are you using? It may still be normal and with the rubber boot off you are just hearing more of the noise you normally don't hear.

Old 01-27-2012 | 04:09 PM
|
Pro Wrench

I always grease until I see it come out somewhere. I use 85w-140 in everything.

I actually noticed the sound a week ago, before taking the console out, and I've just been keeping an eye on it. The only thing that changed that I can recall is we went wheeling soon before. Nothing crazy, just gravel trail with some crawling climbs over hills and ruts. Or it's possible it may have been there the whole time but never noticed until now.

I just went home and re-greased everything but it didn't make a difference. However I shot this video of me driving around in low (to magnify the effect) accelerating and decelerating. Turn it up loud and maybe there's something obvious to you guys.

Driveline - YouTube

Old 01-27-2012 | 08:36 PM
Rock Crawling

I really wish I was there to help you. I am pretty good with sound in general...

I can't really hear anything. I DO hear some clunking (sounds more like clicking) but not when I would expect to hear it if it were related to the drive line. If it were the shaft, you should hear it the second you stomp on the gas and the very moment you let off. This is when the drive shafts are loading/unloading. It's a little more random than that. I am NO EXPERT with land rovers, and I have never had a shaft go bad on any car I ever owned. But I do not think it is your drive shafts.

Other possibilites...

Axles and joints. I cant tell if you are making turns...

Suspension parts. Ball joints and bad bushings can get clunky. And they can do it when you let on and let off on the throttle because you are shifting the weight around. A lot of clunking under a a lot of cars can be attributed to ball and tir rod joints. I had an annoying clunk once that turned out to be a sway bar.

Loose exhaust - doubt it, but you can have some loose parts underneath clunking around.

Can you "feel" anything? Do you feel the clunk in the wheel or the seat of your pants? Can you feel it if you lay you hand lightly on the transmission shifter? (you should feel any drive line lash this way).

Old 01-27-2012 | 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Check your tire pressure, my driveline clunk gets worse is a tire is softer than the others.

Old 01-27-2012 | 09:19 PM
|
Pro Wrench

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure it's the front shaft. I got it to do it continuously by driving at low speed and then noticed the shaft was wobbling. I also missed the memo on grease coming from ALL 4 ends of the u-joint when greasing...

So I already found the Precision 344s at NAPA here and I'll be rebuilding the joints this weekend. Looks pretty simple compared to everything else I've done. Just unbolt the shaft, bang them out, press new ones in, and make sure it's all aligned like before. I'll let you guys know if that solves it.

Old 01-27-2012 | 09:38 PM
Overlanding

While your under there, check out your transmission mounts. Mine looked fine until I put a jack under the trans and saw that they were no longer one piece. That took care of a clunking sound I had.

Quick Reply: Driveline Play Clunk?