Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Drivetrain Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had checked the trans fluid a couple of weeks ago and it was OK. I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow morning etc.

Any other thoughts?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh no, not the high pitched squell phenomena.....................

When a grinding noise shifts to the high pitch squell and the burning smell, but otherwise, everything is OK, just keep on drivng it as far as it will possibly go, then you have the pleasure of replacing entire systems or putting it on Craig's List with the rest other ones that had the 15 second High Pitch Squell.

Those are usually the kind of sound something emits just before it dies. Like wounded aminals howling their death gurgle.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:35 PM
4wd Low

Good to see someone's having fun here. Do you have any experience with these symptoms or are you just cruising these forums trying to be smart?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We really cant help you at this point, you need to jack up the truck, get all four wheels off the ground and put the transmission in neutral and start spinning the wheels and try and pinpoint the noise.
Could be a bad output bearing on the t-case, a bad wheel bearing, almost anything.
But whatever it is it is most likely done for, burning smell is never a good thing unless you are making s'more's.

If its a wheel bearing it can be repaired fairly cheap, if it is a output shaft bearing you prob need a new t-case.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Oh no, not the high pitched squell phenomena.....................

When a grinding noise shifts to the high pitch squell and the burning smell, but otherwise, everything is OK, just keep on drivng it as far as it will possibly go, then you have the pleasure of replacing entire systems or putting it on Craig's List with the rest other ones that had the 15 second High Pitch Squell.

Those are usually the kind of sound something emits just before it dies. Like wounded aminals howling their death gurgle.
I get that all the time from my kids, but they keep on going the next day...

Put it in the air and spin the tires. Everything can be fixed(except small children). Some things just cost more in time or money orboth.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:58 PM
4wd Low

Thanks spike555. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bonzadesign
Good to see someone's having fun here. Do you have any experience with these symptoms or are you just cruising these forums trying to be smart?
I realize you are frustrated with your situation, however, I did not contribute to the cause of your problem. Continued operation of any vehicle that is making unusual noise is one of the main contributors to the magnitude of your problem.

I have a 97 DI SE with around 115,000 miles on it that I have done quite a bit to and manage to keep it going. I do pay attention to the noises it makes and try not to push it when it is not acting right.

I have fixed my CDL shifter, replaced rotors and pads all around, replaced rear calipers and center exhaust. I did all the fluids and filters and a few other things. I try to learn both from my mistakes and the mistakes of others.

I don't have to try to be smart, it just comes naturally. Some people are blessed that way, some are blessed with ignorance. So try not to be ignorant in the future. Learn from your errors. It was after all your error, not mine.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:49 PM
4wd Low

Still nothing but bloviation from Danny Lee. A real smartbarge.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok I know what bloviation is but what the heck is a smartbarge? Just asking.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Keep it friendly guys.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Noise