Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 09:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical issues

So got my new engine built and in complete with top hat liners, new bearings, new cam and lifters, new timing chain, and it is running great. I have a fairly major timing cover gasket oil leak but I think I know how to fix that! Now that the truck runs, I am turning my attention to less urgent but highly annoying issues with electronics:
- The dome light doesn't work - replaced bulb, not bulb;
- The clock works but the time resets to 1:00 everytime I get in the truck and sometimes while driving I think
- Door locks lock driver door and arm the alarm but don't lock other doors - highly annoying as I have to lock all doors manually and then lock driver door as I can't lock the driver door manually ....
- Last night guages flickered when at idle.
- Orange corner lights don't come on but headlights do. Orange lights works for signals but think they should be marker lights too?

Tried checking obvious fuses. Tried reading electrical manual. The latter confused me....

I know these problems require diagnostics and I have been playing with the voltmeter but was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Bad alternator? Will check chassis ground connection tonight but I am getting a solid 12-13V on the working circuits so don't think its a ground problem.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:13 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Big orange are just turn signal

If the dome does not work at all even switched on ,obvious power or ground, did you test at the bulb?

Rest sounds like a short and or bad grounds

What's the battery volts engine running?

Maybe check wires in drivers door and door jamb see if the got chaffed and shorting for lock issue

Old 06-22-2016, 07:47 AM
Three Wheeling

Fixed the dome light - checked all obvious fuses but found on another thread that its the "trailer and accessory" - was blown and now works.

Interesting that there are no orange marker lights when headlights on - thought that was the law .... But looking again there is a reflector on the side so I think that is okay.

Battery voltage is as high as 13 when the truck is NOT running and gets higher when running. Perhaps a voltage regulator is the culprit?

The door locks I will look at the actuators. I realized that the rear door is unlocking with the driver door key turn (but not locking again) and same for the rear passanger door. So it seems like signal is getting to the doors (will confirm) but then they are not able to close.

Still no clue on clock - it seems like at minimum its not getting its constant 12v causing it to reset although it is sometimes getting it as it will be on occassionally when I am in the truck and don't have key in ignition. On that note: is it meant to be on all the time or when?

Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by spurcap
Fixed the dome light - checked all obvious fuses but found on another thread that its the "trailer and accessory" - was blown and now works.

Interesting that there are no orange marker lights when headlights on - thought that was the law .... But looking again there is a reflector on the side so I think that is okay.

Battery voltage is as high as 13 when the truck is NOT running and gets higher when running. Perhaps a voltage regulator is the culprit?

The door locks I will look at the actuators. I realized that the rear door is unlocking with the driver door key turn (but not locking again) and same for the rear passanger door. So it seems like signal is getting to the doors (will confirm) but then they are not able to close.

Still no clue on clock - it seems like at minimum its not getting its constant 12v causing it to reset although it is sometimes getting it as it will be on occassionally when I am in the truck and don't have key in ignition. On that note: is it meant to be on all the time or when?

Side lights are on all four corners on each bumper end cap. They have 168/194 peanut bulbs in them. They aren't just reflectors. I stuck some 194 Sylvania LED's in them vs fighing with burnt bulbs all the time.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:06 AM
Three Wheeling

Looks like the clock fixed itself with the replaced satellite 2 number 6 fuse. That must somehow provide its constant 12v?

Left with the flickering lights at mid rpm and my tack also jumps all over the place when not at idle or high rpm. Seems like an alternator? There is a loud noise which sounds like it might be the alternator on its last legs. Might disconnect the belt when the truck is cold and start it for a minute to see if the noise goes away. The noise leads me to think I need a whole new unit and not just voltage regulator. Any recommended brands or sources? I hear from other posts AutoZone and similar ones fail like crazy.

The door actuators I think need to be looked at to confirm they are getting power but otherwise I think they are themselves the problem and not getting power. But will confirm.

If lights are working as designed I am making progress.

Oh my washers only spit out a tiny amount of fluid on one side. Could be plugged nozzles or maybe the motor going but will try giving them 12v with jumpers to see what happens and check if the nozzles are clean.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Side lights are on all four corners on each bumper end cap. They have 168/194 peanut bulbs in them. They aren't just reflectors. I stuck some 194 Sylvania LED's in them vs fighing with burnt bulbs all the time.
Will check the bulbs and see if getting power. I don't think mine are working. I am guessing these should come on between the off and headlight functions but my truck isn't doing anything in this mode.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Yep they'll come on with one click of the **** aka parking lights. You've also got 194 peanut bulbs in your head light housings that will light up with one click along with parking lights. I also put some LED's in there as well.