Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Electrify the Disco

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 02:44 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrify the Disco

Hello All,

I have a '96 Disco coming up on 200,00 miles. Thga original engine just can't quite manage the hills we have here in Colorado any longer. Has anyone or does anyone have knowledge of dropping in a elective drive train ?

Jim

Old 07-16-2022, 10:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't know that Disco's could ever manage the steep roads in CO ...LOL! Mine didn't do so well out there.

There exist now (I believe now ...or soon to be out) OEM aftermarket automotive electric drivetrain conversion kits. They're new on the market, they were previously delayed, but I think they might be out (for purchase) now. Ford has the Mach-E, and GM has the eCrate kit. The GM kit might even bolt to the Disco (??). I've read about other aftermarket kits too, but haven't checked them out in a while. You should search what's out there. Probably a number of youtube videos on them. We're at the cutting edge of electric retrofits. But then, given enough money, time and fabrication work a person could definitely get an electrical conversion to work. Esp as expensive as it is to rebuild a Disco/Defender engine. The Disco is it is already a very heavy vehicle, which will only get heavier after the batteries are added, that's a negative. Going uphill will be an energy-sucker but at least you'd have instant power. For instance, Motor Trend just did a shoot-out amongst the Hummer EV and Rivian electric pickups. Towing cut the economy in half. But it does almost the same towing with a gas engine. But hauling a 1500# weight only cut the economy penalty by 4%.

But deinitely do your own research. I'm not really up on the latest in electric conversions and the technology is rapidly evolving. What was true a few months ago might not be relevant this month. I would say whatever cost you estimate, double it ...if not tripple. Eventually someone will do a conversion of a Defender (or Disco) if they haven't already.

Sounds like a fun project though. OTOH, the Rover engine has a lot of HP potential. They've used them for racing. You might search out HP options. It's going to be really expensive to rebuild a Rover engine ...almost, like you say, a guy could do an electric drivetrain conversion for less.

Last edited by Mark G; 07-16-2022 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:50 AM
Winching
Received 129 Likes on 113 Posts

I recall taking our new '98 D1 LE from LA to Mammoth the first weekend we had it and I was shocked at how slow it was going up the grade. Nothing new for your 200K

Old 07-17-2022, 02:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Slowest vehicle I took on vacation to Fla. LR4 is a lot better. Took the D1 once.