Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine faltering on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011 | 01:17 PM
|
4wd Low
Default Problem solved.......for now.

So far I am up to 150 miles and it is still running like a champ.

To summarize my story, I had a problem with the engine in my 98 Dicso (109K) faltering severely (but intermittently) under load at high speed.

The first time it started I was already 500 miles into Mexico pulling a 6 X 10 cargo trailer with two of my sons along for the ride. I made it to Cabo and a friend brought down a new set of plug wires when he came to join me on vacation. This bought me another 1500 miles to make it back to my home in Berkeley.

Then it started again (worse and a little different). I took it to my mechanic and he checked fuel pressure, check engine light (it was a misfire on two cylinders), and he said he could not find anything and it seemed to be running better.

When I got it back it immediately had the same problem so I checked under the hood myself and found the air filter top was loose, and the clamp securing the air intake hose to the throttle body was completely loose.

I tightened this up and voila, problem solved.

Hopefully for good but I will post again if other problems come up, or this reoccurs.

I would like the 98 Disco (109K) to make one more trip to Baja next December so I am keeping up on the preventive maintenance.

Old 01-26-2011 | 02:10 PM
TReK

One question... how does a person who calls himself a 'mechanic' not check hoses and clamps ...all the 'obvious' stuff first?

I suspect this is what happens when we get too reliant on computers and test books. Little in the way of visual inspection and basic screw tightening.

Glad it is working out for you.

Every day on spend on this site (lurking...cause I don't have much to add as I'm not well versed in auto repair), is another day I keep my '97 on the road.

Thanks to all who contribute so freely.

Old 01-26-2011 | 02:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
One question... how does a person who calls himself a 'mechanic' not check hoses and clamps ...all the 'obvious' stuff first?

I suspect this is what happens when we get too reliant on computers and test books. Little in the way of visual inspection and basic screw tightening.

Glad it is working out for you.

Every day on spend on this site (lurking...cause I don't have much to add as I'm not well versed in auto repair), is another day I keep my '97 on the road.

Thanks to all who contribute so freely.
I cant speak for anybody else, but I do it when I just plain look passed the easy stuff thinking that it CAN'T be that easy.