Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine install - Low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Sounds like a blocked oil cooler and too heavy a weight on the oil.......

Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the suggestion, but can't be oil cooler. We didn't change it when we installed new engine.

When we eventually do the oil pump job I'll be switching the 5w-30 for the winter, then back to 10w-30 for summer.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Mudding

So here is an update; though not a very good one.

I finally got in touch with rover land through Facebook and they gave my mechanic a call. Told him that it cannot be the oil pump because they had this engine completely refreshed and checked. They talked to the guy that did the motor and he confirmed oil pump is good.

Now, I dunno how much of that I believe.

They informed us to remove and inspect the oil pressure relief valve. We removed it and the spring was worn, as if it were stuck open or jammed.

We used my valve setup from my old motor (thing was a son of a b--tch to get back in)

Truck had been sitting for at last 2 weeks now. Thing started right up. Oil light remained off. Bloody brilliant. That must have been the issue??

Not so much. I changed the oil (Valvoline 5w-30 now), and then I drove to get gas. On the way back my check enigne light came on, so I stopped back by shop just to see why. As soon as I came to idle the damn motor begins tapping again.

So if the entire motor was inspected and refreshed this noise can't be anything typical. Truck ONLY taps at idle. As soon as I get above 1500 it completely stops. Gotta be low oil pressure, I am assuming. Still. However, oil light does not illuminate at all now.

I parked the truck and figured let it sit over night and try and start it and see if it is the same exact problem or remnants of the problem. We'll see. Gonna rent an oil psi gauge and get some numbers.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for all of your inputs. They are much appreciated.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an awesome post for people who have a problem like this in the future. Although i couldn't help but notice Percy in your signature area. AMC FTW!!! lol

Old 01-02-2014, 07:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

all it take is 7 psi to keep the light off. So it is quite possible you do not have enough oil pressure at low RPM's. You my want to try a bottle of Lucas engine oil treatment and see if it comes up at idle.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be seriously pursuing this issue with the vendor. You don't want to be in a position where you have to put goop in the new engine that just cost you a big bag of money. If you're not getting a satisfactory response, you're not talking to the right person.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Racerx04
This is an awesome post for people who have a problem like this in the future. Although i couldn't help but notice Percy in your signature area. AMC FTW!!! lol

Hah thanks! gotta love those Pacers!

Old 01-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ajnolin
I would be seriously pursuing this issue with the vendor. You don't want to be in a position where you have to put goop in the new engine that just cost you a big bag of money. If you're not getting a satisfactory response, you're not talking to the right person.
Had no oil pressure again when we started it today. Terrific.

gonna call rover land again tomorrow to see what to do from here.

And I don't use engine additives, especially on these rovers. So that won't be happening.

I'll keep you guys updated. Again, thanks for all of your inputs.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Mudding

Just a little update on what is going on.

I am still without my truck. Roverland sent my mechanic a whole front cover from another engine. I am going to have my mechanic put my new oil pump in that cover and install. Unfortunately my mechanic put other jobs in front of mine now, seeing as Roverland took a bit of time to get back to us with what we were doing.

Hopefully the job will get done soon and hopefully this will fix the issue. This has gone a little too far already considering this engine was guaranteed to run once installed.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

It very well be a problem with the pressure relief valve in the cover. Someone else on here just had the same problem. Definitely annoying considering the motor was supposedly checked out before you got it.

Quick Reply: Engine install - Low oil pressure