Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine install - Low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You want the clear / translucent one, BA has a good aftermarket for like forty bucks with cap. The black one is an insidious POS that will bust a seam and warp your heads as soon as you get your engine issues worked out. Good luck with your motor, RL owes you big and I hope you are able to hold them accountable

Old 01-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another update, and a tad bit of good news.

We got the truck running properly. Turns out one of the reluctor pins was bent while the engine was being installed and crank sensor got busted. All is good now, and truck runs smooth.

Still taps like a SOB at idle. Calling Rover Land tomorrow to speak to them...and that's just me putting it nicely.

I do have oil pressure now, however. So far so good. I guess the tapping had nothing to do with that.. It's just another one of the 1000 problems I was guaranteed NOT to run into.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Mudding

Update:

I called Rover Land again on Wednesday. They told me to fax them my bills from all the labor and the BS their engine is causing me.

Sent the fax and they called my mechanic the following day. Apparently they sounded very concerned (took long enough) after they saw the labor costs. They spent a few hours trying to contact any Land Rover mechanics/enthusiasts that they think may know my issue.

They gave my mechanic a number to a man who has specialized in Land Rover for over 35 years.

Long story short, we dropped the oil pan and found a missing gasket on the sump pickup. Metal to metal from the flange to the block.

Fixed that, raised the pan, started it up. Got oil pressure.

But the damn thing still taps when it's hot. I took another video after we replaced the gasket last night...link is at the bottom of this post.

We allowed the truck to sit over night and today we're gonna start it up again after it sat cold. If there is oil pressure, then the tapping isn't being caused by oil pressure. My next guess would be a lifter..

Old 01-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Mudding

No oil pressure again today.

I don't know what to do anymore. We literally changed everything we could. There is nothing left unless it is the main bearings.

Rover land said they checked the bearings.

I am so fed up that I am about to just take the truck back and let it sit until I can come up with money to just get the damn engine rebuilt. This is just ridiculous now...

Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Bypass the oil cooler.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a tapping noise too. Except mine is stock at 165,000 miles. I am currently looking into a rebuilt 4.6 from RPI. It has a high torque cam and whatnot. For 6,000 I think that it's doable. I'm on the fence though because I can't decide whether I want a 4.6 or 300tdi. Both are in the same price range.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

300tdi all the way if price us equal!

Old 01-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Used low mileage 300tdi with tranny vs brand new high torque cam fitted 4.6. 22mpg. Same price. Idk what's better?

Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by calebbo
I have a tapping noise too. Except mine is stock at 165,000 miles. I am currently looking into a rebuilt 4.6 from RPI. It has a high torque cam and whatnot. For 6,000 I think that it's doable. I'm on the fence though because I can't decide whether I want a 4.6 or 300tdi. Both are in the same price range.
Does it tap only at idle or all the time? And when hot or cold or both?

Old 01-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Bypass the oil cooler.
I gave my mechanic this option as well and he said that my oil cooler wasn't changed. It's original. My truck never had oil pressure issues until this engine was installed.

But, hey, why not try it if nothing else is working? Thanks for the advice. Any advice right now is a big help.

Quick Reply: Engine install - Low oil pressure