Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine install - Low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine install - Low oil pressure

Hello everyone,

I am in a bit of a predicament...

In July 2013 I purchased an engine from roverlandparts.com to replace my engine due to blown head gaskets and worn bearings/lifters/pushrods etc

The engine I got from roverlandparts supposedly was inspected before being dismantled from truck, had oil pan removed, sump pickup cleaned, main bearings checked, re-sealed oil pan, clean & inspect heads, reseal valve covers.

I had engine put in truck and mechanic primed it before starting it. Said there was no oil pressure when he first tried to start it. He primed it again and the truck ran smooth. I drove it home (I only live about 5 min from shop) and as soon as I parked and came to idle the engine began tapping, just like my old one (even worse.) It only taps at idle. I immediately shut the truck and called mechanic.

He told me it could be bad oil pump, but now i dunno what to do. Truck sat over night, and when I went to start it again the following morning, there was no oil pressure again. It's sitting now, but I already spent so much money getting engine in. What could this issue be? I'll be doing oil pressure test tomorrow or Tuesday.

Using Wolf's Head 15W-40 btw

Thanks,
SpikeR

Last edited by spikeRovah; 12-17-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

By no oil pressure you refer to the oil light staying on? That should go out in a second or two when cranked and oil PSI gets above 7 PSI. Oil should be present on the dip stick.

So - oil pressure test is a must. Seems like mechanic skipped that step. If the light goes out, maybe it has 14.5678 PSI. Would want 40+ cold, and 10+ warm idle, 40+ at 2500.

Possible includes:

Bad filter
Oil pickup sludged up
Oil pickup gasket not replaced
oil pickup loose on mount bolts
more sludge than was expected in pan has re-gunked the pickup
oil pump

The good thing is that some of these are cheap to fix and the set of parts for oil pump and front cover gasket are about $115.

You are continuing to make Santa Claus possible for the mechanic, or at the very least a boat payment.

Don't forget the wrecker for trip back to the shop.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Mudding

Oil light stays on and motor taps like a son of a gun. I haven't started it since, and when I saw the light not go out I shut the motor right off. Oil is present on the dipstick though.

I bought an oil pump kit last night. Hopefully this will do the trick. When I received the engine, all gaskets were brand new and replaced, so if they had a head on their shoulders they must of inspected and cleaned sump pick-up, etc. Though that's not a definite. Gonna see if I can get my dad to work with me on this oil pump so that I have no need to go to this mechanic anymore.

Thanks for your input. I'll be doing pressure test tomorrow and I'll update here with numbers.

Last edited by spikeRovah; 12-17-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Before you go tearing down the motor, make sure that you aren't going to void your warranty. Check with Roverland to see what they want you to do. They have a good reputation and appear to be reasonable to deal with.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I think he can blow out the towel bar and change the oil to thinner than amber without voiding the warranty.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:19 AM
Mudding

Thanks 04duxlr, I'll be shooting them an email tomorrow as well as doing pressure test. Hopefully they'll provide some answers.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Mudding

So went to oil pressure test and wound up not doing it. There was 0 oil pressure again and light is on. We removed fuel pump relay and primed pump and got oil pressure that way.

Once truck is off and gets cold there is no oil pressure again. Zero. Light comes on.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a bad oil pump gear to me...

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...estions-49168/

Old 12-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

as 04duxlr you should contact on there engine page it say you void and warentee if you open it up.

Roverlandparts.com engines come with a 90 day warranty from the original date of purchase. The warranty covers the engine under normal operating conditions. Roverlandparts.com recommends that prior to installation the technician inspects and replaces the front and rear main seals as well as freeze plugs. The engine is guaranteed against engine knock and excessive oil use. The warranty does not cover installation errors, oil leaks or the labor costs associated with them. Disassembly voids warranty.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Mudding

I already shot roverlandparts an email. Thanks drowssap. Waiting on a response. If they don't respond tonight I'll be giving them a call tomorrow. Waiting on them to do anything.

Quick Reply: Engine install - Low oil pressure