Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine Issues? :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

New symptom seems like there is no spark .........

Old 08-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Check the connector to the coil pack.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Check the connector to the coil pack.
<surrenders his crayons.............>

Cleared the codes. checked the connector .... realized when i was putzing with the kickdown for the tranny i had disconnected it.............

Fixed, ran 6 mile test drive no issues, and NO CODES.... all that's left is that darn ticking

Old 08-06-2013, 01:16 AM
Camel Trophy

You know....... Not many would admit they drunkenly licked the dogs rear on this board which makes you kinda sorta rare. You can keep the Crayolas. There's that $350 Buzz was talking about......

If fishy is right about the lifter (I didn't listen to the vid) it's not too hard to get to BUT if high mileage I doubt you'd be able to lift it out of it's bore through the top. They tend to mushroom at the face and will only drop through their bores once the cam is removed. Ah.....what am I worried about? A walk in the park for you by now eh tranny boy pink eye licker.

Here's my thinking on the tick....... more than once the button for the rocker arm has been found to be AWOL on these Buick inspired creations. Remove the passenger valve cover and check and also I've witnessed a bent push rod or two in my time on these boards. It's not that a lifter can't go bad or hasn't but it's higher probability it's one of the first two options. If neither, you have a multitude of other things to now look at. Lastly it could be a liner slip.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Rock Crawling

You know....... Not many would admit they drunkenly licked the dogs rear on this board which makes you kinda sorta rare. You can keep the Crayolas. There's that $350 Buzz was talking about......

If fishy is right about the lifter (I didn't listen to the vid) it's not too hard to get to BUT if high mileage I doubt you'd be able to lift it out of it's bore through the top. They tend to mushroom at the face and will only drop through their bores once the cam is removed. Ah.....what am I worried about? A walk in the park for you by now eh tranny boy pink eye licker.

Here's my thinking on the tick....... more than once the button for the rocker arm has been found to be AWOL on these Buick inspired creations. Remove the passenger valve cover and check and also I've witnessed a bent push rod or two in my time on these boards. It's not that a lifter can't go bad or hasn't but it's higher probability it's one of the first two options. If neither, you have a multitude of other things to now look at. Lastly it could be a liner slip.
Thanks ihscouts, lol hey I know when i'm beat I tend to get tunnel vision and it's been a mad dash to complete this project over the past week so im a bit worn out.

166k on the motor assuming it is the original... Last year with the assistance of a "mechanic" ... we re-did the heads on a chevy 4.6... if I needed to I'm sure I could do that again will save that for last. main lesson learned is not to let him touch my engine

as for the slipped liner, from everything I've read about it that typically goes away at high rpm, this is consistent regardless of RPM and temperature so does seem unlikely, but I know stranger things have happened.

What would the "button" look like? found a small hollow round bit in the oil pan when I had that off, i'll see if i can locate it for a picture

I'll pull the cover and see whats up, may have to wait till later this week depending on how things go. Off to work for my first day woohoo.. Sad to be leavin it behind but it'll get there soon enough.

Last question for the morning ... How messy is it to run with the cover off

Old 08-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

if what you found looked like a metal sleeve, about 1/4 inch tall, it could be one of the spacers that goes in the valve cover gasket (4 per gasket) - they fall out and go into oil pan.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Camel Trophy

The valve cover gasket originals are brass, rather obvious to spot. Aftermarket are nickel plated. The ring shape rather obvious again to spot.

The buttons are just that, a button of hardened steel bonded to the aluminum composite rocker where it meets the valve stem. When they disappear they leave a gap between the rocker and valve stem that makes a ticking sound that will maintain throughout the entire rev band. Engine will sound like a model T's. Eventually the valve stem will wear a hole through the rocker. Most catch it before this happens because it's so obviously annoying.

Hey, glad to hear your back in the game...... congrats!

Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Rock Crawling

The valve cover gasket originals are brass, rather obvious to spot. Aftermarket are nickel plated. The ring shape rather obvious again to spot.

The buttons are just that, a button of hardened steel bonded to the aluminum composite rocker where it meets the valve stem. When they disappear they leave a gap between the rocker and valve stem that makes a ticking sound that will maintain throughout the entire rev band. Engine will sound like a model T's. Eventually the valve stem will wear a hole through the rocker. Most catch it before this happens because it's so obviously annoying.

Hey, glad to hear your back in the game...... congrats!
Thanks I'll pull the covers soon as i get a chance... Gasket required or RTV good nuff?

Started up this morning, but was a bit difficult, and idled a bit rough.. before i do too much more i wanna see whats under the covers

Last edited by nuclearw; 08-06-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Camel Trophy

Gasket. See what's under the covers? Yikes.

Anyways......if the old gaskets are leaking new are needed. Completely worth it. No RTV. If you really want to take a good look at the rocker assembly it's only four bolts. Running the motor with a valve cover off is fine, not an oil slinger but the blow-by and puddling will eventually soak and smoke.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Rock Crawling

Gasket. See what's under the covers? Yikes.
Yes that was on purpose...

Anyways......if the old gaskets are leaking new are needed. Completely worth it. No RTV. If you really want to take a good look at the rocker assembly it's only four bolts. Running the motor with a valve cover off is fine, not an oil slinger but the blow-by and puddling will eventually soak and smoke.
i suspect the old ones are leaking, for the price can't hurt to replace them either way... Would a local parts store have ones of decent quality, or that somethin to order from AB?

Quick Reply: Engine Issues? :)