Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine Rebuild - Performance/Reliability Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Good to see you bud.....

I would have mentioned those two stalwarts. RPI has it's own cam. I'm not sold on it. It's gotta be the name....."Piper"?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I will do a walk-through of the automotive department and talk to the professor long enough to be sure he's competent. I'm actually a student at the same school in a different department so it should be easy enough for me to monitor the progress and ask questions as they go. In fact one reason I won't be rebuilding it myself is I'm taking a heavy course load next semester.

This looks like a sweet cam, supposedly an extra 22 horsepower and a lower torque band: Crower Comp-U Pro Cam 50230 Rover V8 - V8 Tuner.

I think I'll budget about $500 for a cam and do plenty of research. Maybe I'll find something cheaper that's still good but I really don't want to skimp on a purchase that will likely be with me for a long time.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Another option might be to purchase an engine from a salvage yard, let them rebuild that, while you still drive your truck, then they swap it out.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Search results for: '50230'

There, I waved my magic cam wand and made it cheaper....now the "uprated" lifters....... As long as you have the correct numbers you can find and order them direct eh. Do the same for the lifters.

Last edited by ihscouts; 12-17-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Another option might be to purchase an engine from a salvage yard, let them rebuild that, while you still drive your truck, then they swap it out.
With the coolant disappearing at the rate it is and the knocking I doubt his current motor will hold out for an entire semester without some type of intervention or expense. Yes, another runner to rebuild is the best option and I thought of suggesting it too but held off since MG has other vehicles to drive in the interim. Rover withdrawl will be only setback.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ihscouts
With the coolant disappearing at the rate it is and the knocking I doubt his current motor will hold out for an entire semester without some type of intervention or expense. Yes, another runner to rebuild is the best option and I thought of suggesting it too but held off since MG has other vehicles to drive in the interim. Rover withdrawl will be only setback.
Yeah I've only put 4,000 miles on it in the last year, I think I can cope. I may have to buy studded snow tires for my 2wd Ranger though, or drive one of the Nissans. We haven't had much snow accumulate yet this year, but I've already had to start heel-toe downshifting around corners in snow to keep the pickup from going into a tailspin every time - that's even after putting a 250 lb+ payload in the bed!

Actually driving the Rover in the winter just makes me sad anyway because all the good trails around here are closed from January 1 to April 1.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

So this is a college doing the work right?
So why is there any question on the quality and competence of the work?
If you have to question a college professors skills then we have bigger problems, like a butt load of incompetent college graduates who will be working on cars.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Winching

Yes it's a college and I agree it should be fine. My only reason for concern is that most mechanics here have no clue how to work on Land Rovers, since they make up a tiny percentage of the cars here. I get the "Land Rover? Who makes that?" question all the time...

Old 12-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I understand that, but its still just a push rod V8, no different than a Chevy, Ford or Dodge.
Not understanding how the CDL works, or the alarm system etc. I can understand, but rebuilding a engine is not rocket science.
There is nothing wrong with you wanting to check on things etc.
And as far as buying parts goes, let the school do it, they always get a discount.
So tell the prof what parts you want, give him the links etc. but let him order the parts.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Winching

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely have them buy the parts then. Yeah now that you mention it the engine is one of the more generic parts on this vehicle.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild - Performance/Reliability Upgrades?