Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Exhaust....

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011 | 07:42 PM
|
Mudding
Default Exhaust....

So when I was driving to school on morning, I noticed that my disco became a little loud. In the school parking lot I looked underneath it and my muffler (center one under the driver's door) was hanging down a little and the exhaust pipe leading to it was busted. I dont feel like buying a new muffler as that money could be saved for a rainy day so I decided to cut it off and straight pipe it. The rear resonator (little one in the rear) is fine and still intact, but should I leave it on or take it off? Would the rear resonator quiet it a little or not at all?

Old 09-22-2011 | 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

I think the preferred method is whack off the little one and keep the big one. On a tight budget, might be time for a trip to the salvage yard, or repair/replace just the busted pipe. I guess the reason the mufflers are so pricey is that they must be oil-tite construction.....

Old 09-22-2011 | 08:18 PM
Pro Wrench

I have the stock muffler off my 98. It only has surface rust. I could be convinced to get ride of it

Old 09-22-2011 | 08:30 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I think the preferred method is whack off the little one and keep the big one. On a tight budget, might be time for a trip to the salvage yard, or repair/replace just the busted pipe. I guess the reason the mufflers are so pricey is that they must be oil-tite construction.....
It would be hard to find a disco in a salvage yard here in Iowa....Im 1 of about 30 people here who drive D1's
Cant replace the pipe leading to it....
This is why

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust....-0921111627.jpg  

Last edited by ESPN; 09-22-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2011 | 08:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

hahahahahaha, that sucks. Dude search any thread with my name and exhaust in it. Theres like a trillion. You can def salvage that flange coming off the Y pipe. Any schmo shop with a welder could re-use that. You COULD pipe it straight back to the resonator, but savannah is right conventional approach is to lose the resonator and keep the big ugly under the middle.
Having said that. you can get a LEGIT flowmaster muffler for like 60$ on ebay, buy it now price but you have to find someone to weld it in. One way or another your muffler is shot and you need someone to weld your crap back together. In iowa you might get away with the good ol boy approach, hit up an independant shop that does exhaust and offer a tech a case of beer and $100 including materials to put your crap back together after hours.
Anyway you slice your situation, welding needs to be done. Expect your fix, new muffler or not, to run at leasdt $150, but seriously, search my thread. I lived your problem and it's all squared away now, for like $300 bucks, 65 for a muffler and 225 for all my welding, but you can probably have it done for cheaper
good luck. Also, if you can weld, buy yourself an unshielded harbor freight welder for $150 and just do it yourself, then you can do whatever you want. and the welder will come in handy many many times

Old 09-22-2011 | 08:59 PM

You actually could rejoin the two by putting a short length of pipe between the two. Take a hacksaw to where the pipe rotted away, cut it back to where it is solid and insert a short length of pipe into it and the muffler. Of course that is not a permanent repair, just a quick and dirty fix.

It is the original exhaust and has rusted in two. Which means the muffler is proably shot as well.

The question that comes to mind with me is, if you either cannot afford to fix it or just do not want to fix it properly (Rainy Day?) what are you going to do when something serious happens?

If you run it as it is, you certainly are not doing anything beneficial for the vehicle and most likely could end up being ticketed for loud exhaust. Does Iowa have VEHICLE INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS?

Do you plan on keeping it long or just running it to death?

Old 09-22-2011 | 09:09 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by turf63
hahahahahaha, that sucks. Dude search any thread with my name and exhaust in it. Theres like a trillion. You can def salvage that flange coming off the Y pipe. Any schmo shop with a welder could re-use that. You COULD pipe it straight back to the resonator, but savannah is right conventional approach is to lose the resonator and keep the big ugly under the middle.
Having said that. you can get a LEGIT flowmaster muffler for like 60$ on ebay, buy it now price but you have to find someone to weld it in. One way or another your muffler is shot and you need someone to weld your crap back together. In iowa you might get away with the good ol boy approach, hit up an independant shop that does exhaust and offer a tech a case of beer and $100 including materials to put your crap back together after hours.
Anyway you slice your situation, welding needs to be done. Expect your fix, new muffler or not, to run at leasdt $150, but seriously, search my thread. I lived your problem and it's all squared away now, for like $300 bucks, 65 for a muffler and 225 for all my welding, but you can probably have it done for cheaper
good luck. Also, if you can weld, buy yourself an unshielded harbor freight welder for $150 and just do it yourself, then you can do whatever you want. and the welder will come in handy many many times
HAHA! Good ol boy approach....Thats all we ever do...
I dont even need someone to weld it....my grandpa already offered to do it since he has a welder. I'll have to think about it....

Old 09-22-2011 | 09:12 PM

Well hell. I would just buy a good muffler locally and have Grandpaw weld it in, what is there to think about?

Old 09-22-2011 | 09:17 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
You actually could rejoin the two by putting a short length of pipe between the two. Take a hacksaw to where the pipe rotted away, cut it back to where it is solid and insert a short length of pipe into it and the muffler. Of course that is not a permanent repair, just a quick and dirty fix.

It is the original exhaust and has rusted in two. Which means the muffler is proably shot as well.

The question that comes to mind with me is, if you either cannot afford to fix it or just do not want to fix it properly (Rainy Day?) what are you going to do when something serious happens?

If you run it as it is, you certainly are not doing anything beneficial for the vehicle and most likely could end up being ticketed for loud exhaust. Does Iowa have VEHICLE INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS?

Do you plan on keeping it long or just running it to death?
I can afford to fix it, but I would like to save some cash in case something major happens like a blown head gasket.
Ticketed for a loud exhaust? I have a bud who's "forgot" to put the exhaust back on his chevy pickup when swapping engines...he cant keep his foot from flooring it every time he pulls away from a stop sign in town and the cops don't mind...its 10x as loud as my rover with it's exhaust busted!
I do plan on keeping it as long as I can....keep in mind it is my first car.

Last edited by ESPN; 09-22-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2011 | 10:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

yeh dude, grandpop and a real muffler. Sub 100$ BOOM mystery solved.

Quick Reply: Exhaust....