Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

exhaust problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust problem?

just bought my first rover a 1996 discovery se7 with the v8. i have a noise that sounds like a chug from the exhaust it seems to be comming from the right side of the engine compartment at the firewall. my father inlaw thought at first it was a throw out bearing but it does not stop or change tone with the clutch. it does however disappear the moment you hit the gas or atleast you cant tell its there. it doesnt sound like a bearing noise, its definitely a chug or puffing sound like exhaust. i also have a miss that seems to coincide with the sound. i am starting to suspect a cat converter, but am not completely sure. am i right in thinking its the cat?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I suspect the gasket between the manifold and the pipe leading down to cat. When truck is stone cold, and you crank it, it would start at once. Holding a finger near there would detect it, exhasut temp will rapidly hit 400F and keep going. You'll feel hot air on your hand. Makes a dirty smudge mark usually at pipe joint If you do the Sea Foam induction cleaning treatment you'll see exactly where it is coming from.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Overlanding

would this also cause the miss i have or is that going to be unrelated?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get false readings on your upstream o2 sensor for that bank, which could end up affecting the fuel mix although if its missing i think its unlikely that thats the cause...

Old 07-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Overlanding

as far as i can tell everythings stock. it all still has huge land rover brands all over. all four o2 sensors are present. ive felt fo the leak before but didn't find anything but thats not to say it isn't in the back so i will have to check again.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Overlanding

thank you both for the quick responses. i will post when i check to see if this is the problem.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On my 97, the gasket at the y-pipe was the original factory unit and it burned thru between the two ports in the center. Result is exactly what you describe and does indeeed affect that O2. If you ignore it too long it will also prematurely damage that cat. That was my experience anway.

Just like Savannah the Shade Tree Manager stated, it will have a noticeable leak that you should be able to feel. Got a creeper? Stick your head underneath right behind the front tire on that side and it should be obvious if the y-pipe gasket has seen it''s demise.

I suggest you get one for each side especially if they are the factory originals. Mine had about 116K on it when it failed emissions the first time. Be prepared for broken studs at the y-pipe flange. The old ones will be heat sealed in place by the lifetime of heat cycles they have seen. Those gaskets are normal consummables.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Overlanding

im at 138,000 and just bought it. would this noise disappear once i touch the throttle? if thats it i guess im not too much in the hole for a 1300 dollar rover.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cannot and would not venture any diagnois from the keyboard. For $1300 and it runs, I would say you done fine.

Next thing I would say is if you like it and want it to last then go over it from front to back and side to side top to bottom as if it were a new girlfriend you just picked up at closing time and decide what to put in her.

Look for leaks (fluids, vacumn& exhaust), are any codes popping the CEL?
Drain and change all fluids.
Remove plugs and see what they tell you. Put in new Cheap Champion Coppers and some new plug wires if those are not recent and then see what you got.

Take her out and see how she dances. Play in the mud and see if the CDL works. Go into LOW and see what she does. Then enjoy it.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Overlanding

well i had to get on here for rave anyway, ran the codes and this is what i got.
p1194
p1191
p0300
p0308
p0306
p0304
p1316
p1314
p1178
looked these codes up, pretty sure the exhaust leak could have caused some of these but also the misfires. could some of these codes also caused the misfires as well?

Quick Reply: exhaust problem?