Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011 | 05:34 PM
|
4wd High
Default Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel

Hello everyone,
My name is Jason im stationed in Jacksonville fl in the navy. I had a few questions about the longevity and reliability of the D1’s drive train. I’m currently working out long term plans for an expedition truck taking cues from the camel trophy trucks. My end goal is to drive the trans American highway, but my major issue is I don’t know if parts are readily available out of the US for the rover v8. If you were traveling out of the country which would you choose our gas engine or the 300tdi? I’m not overly concerned with fuel mileage mostly just reliability I don’t want to break down in bumble*uck nowhere and have to wait days or weeks for a part, or pay an arm and a leg for a V8 part when diesel parts are cheap or vice versa. Is the 300tdi more commonly used worldwide or is the gas v8? I know on deployments I’ve been on diesel engines are extremely popular overseas every country we pulled into it seemed like thats all they drove. Mainly I’m looking for trouble free operation, with proper maintenance of course!!!! Any input yall have would be awesome!

Old 10-03-2011 | 05:35 PM
TReK

Do a search. You are beating a dead horse by starting this topic up. It has been discussed and beaten already many times.

Old 10-03-2011 | 05:44 PM
|
4wd High

i have, i've read tons of posts about 300TDI vs v8, how to do a conversion, how to import them blah blah blah im not trying to get that argument started again im asking which is more widely used outside of the US? and which one might have less problems

Old 10-03-2011 | 06:15 PM
Team Owner

In North America the V8 is THE engine to have, it will be hard to find TDI parts.
I am going to assume this is the same for South America.
In Europe they prefer diesels because of the MPG and the price of petrol is so high that no one can afford to drive a V8.
The Rover V8 is VERY reliable, if you work out the bugs before your trip you should be fine.
The biggest problem will be the MAF sensor, while the DI MAF is very robust if it sucks in to much water you can kill it.
We have had a guy on here already who drove his V8 Disco from Florida to Brazil with only a few minor problems.
He was a surfer and had his board strapped to the roof and surfed along the way.
If I remember right he only had 2 problems, his truck overheated once or twice and he killed his MAF after driving though deep water.
But I think thats the only problems he had.
A diesel would be ideal, but I think a V8 would be better without a support group.

Old 10-03-2011 | 06:17 PM
TReK

There is no cut and dry answer. Only opinions. My opinion(based on the posts I've read on here) is that Diesels are more prevelant in countries where diesel is cheaper than Petrol. And Petrol is more prevelant where diesel is more expensive. That is outside of the NAS market. As to which is more reliable, a well maintained petrol will last as long as a neglected diesel(that's my opinion as well).

Old 10-03-2011 | 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

The cheapest solution is probably to outfit a gas v-8, and carry a supply of parts, some of which can be had cheaply at salvage yards (J-ville has some), or from dismantlers. Parts like ECU and MAF could be tested in advance. ALternator would be good as well. A new MAF is about $1500, $30 from salvage. So in one suitcase you could have all the parts that you might need (U-joints, wheel bearings, each of the modules, spare bulbs, belts, multiple set of hoses). Since fuel in other areas might not be pristine, suggest fuel/water separator (like boats use) be added. A lot of the stuff you would carry would be consumed in ordinary repairs later. If you had a bunch of big items left, sell on this forum or eBay. When you get to the end of the highway, might be some local that wants a slick V-8 Rover - and now your airline ticket back is covered. Before going replace water pump, carry old as spare. Replace oil pump, rebuild both drive shafts. Plan trip where you actaully go to some cities that have an LR dealer. Take pix with service manager, etc. Take used spare sensors of every kind, new crank position sensor. Download RAVE and carry a printed copy, electronic copy on USB drive, stored on your phone, and on your laptop.

The cost of buying a footlocker full of spares from salvage yard is not very much.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-03-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2011 | 07:25 PM
Winching

I would carry a suite case of extra parts. I would also carry another suite case with tools in it. Do you have a roof rack? What about a tow behind off road trailer?

Old 10-03-2011 | 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Roof rack and hitch mount rack, for spare water/fuel cans. And duct tape. Lots of duct tape. And if you have a D1, bypass engine immobilization. Don't want alarm system to shut you down a long way from a testbook.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-03-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2011 | 07:42 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by Spike555
In North America the V8 is THE engine to have, it will be hard to find TDI parts.
I am going to assume this is the same for South America.
Neither is true. Tdi parts can be had from nearly every Rover parts supplier.
The 2.8 PS version 300Tdi was built in South America.

For the OP, personally I choose a 300Tdi.
On average, if it's in good nick, has the timing belt modification, has a high quality fuel filter/water separator like a Racor it's going to be more trouble free than a petrol when you factor in it's imperviousness to water and the fact that it will run for as long as you have fuel even with a dead alternator or battery.

The additional MPG is nothing to ignore, since it increases as a percentage compared to petrol the more stop and go and slow speed driving you do, which means less fuel you need to carry in cans so you have a safer rig.

Remember, most trucks are diesel, so anywhere they travel there will be a fuel supply.

Old 10-03-2011 | 08:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by antichrist
Neither is true. Tdi parts can be had from nearly every Rover parts supplier.
My point was that on the trip he may have a hard time finding Rover TDI parts locally.
We already know of many parts from other engines that will work on the Rover V8 in a pinch, such as the IACV and the fan clutch.
I was not aware that all of the Rover 300tdi's were made in South America but in my humble opinion that does not guarantee a good parts supply and I dont think Rovers North ships to the jungle.
This is all speculation on my part and he asked for opinions and these are mine and mine only.
Very good point on the fuel economy.

Quick Reply: Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel