Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011 | 02:42 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
i would bring two spare tires mounted on rims. im going to be doing that this winter and i only travel a state or two away to offroad.
Well, there can be a significant difference between going somewhere to off-road and overlanding where the actual need for 4WD (i.e, rough terrain) is typically a small percentage of the travel. Combining that with with how easy it is to overload a vehicle for a long trip, is the reason I suggested just the normal spare, but a spare tire.

if using a winch you might one to get one that can be removed easily and stored in the truck as i have heard stories of them being stolen right off the truck while people are sleeping.
Welding a short length of 'U' channel over the bolt heads can deter that. Never weld the bolt heads themselves.

Last edited by antichrist; 10-05-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 03:17 PM

Rovers North ships world wide and even sells new expedition rig diesels outside of the US.

Old 10-04-2011 | 03:25 PM

bypass engine immobilization.

Do you have any info on how to accomplish this?

Old 10-04-2011 | 03:35 PM
Default Ex-MOD

If you really want an expedition vehicle, try an Ex-MOD (British Ministry of Defense) surplus vehicle. A friend of mine here in PA has this one:

It is much stouter than any Discovery, already has the diesel with a hand crank, beefed up, no real modification needed and usually very well maintained by prior owner. It would probably even cost less than buying a Discovery and fixing and modifying it.

Attached Thumbnails Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel-mod-water.jpg   Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel-john-mod.jpg   Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel-john-mud-snow.jpg   Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel-mod-crossing.jpg   Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel-mod-creek.jpg  

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-04-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 08:07 PM

http://www.exmod.co.uk/othervehicles.html

Take a look at these incredible well equipped MOD's. Tell me they aren't already ready for almost anything or place you should need to get to.

Old 10-05-2011 | 12:41 AM
|
4wd High

Well, there can be a significant difference between going somewhere to off-road and overlanding where the actual need for 4WD (i.e, rough terrain) is typically a small percentage of the travel. Combining that with with how easy it is to overload a vehicle for a long trip
well if off roading or rough terrain is a small percentage of extended travel outside of the US (and i understand this is a land rover forum) then maybe an older model Mercedes station wagon w/diesel would more fit what im trying to do. For the cost of getting a rover, outfitting it for overlanding and fitting a deisel i could have a pretty good set up with a mercedes and it would be "legal"
my friend had a late 70's 300D before i joined the navy and it had over 300K miles, it was slow and smoked but it still ran decent. Some of the stuff listed would still apply too, like a roof rack and spare parts extra lighting upgraded suspension and so on
cant wait to hear opinions on this

Old 10-05-2011 | 04:09 AM
|
4wd High

i re-read that and that sounds no fun at all
deferentially need a rover!

Old 10-05-2011 | 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by FC2Fitts
i re-read that and that sounds no fun at all
deferentially need a rover!
was gonna say, you lost your flippin mind.

Old 10-05-2011 | 10:33 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by FC2Fitts
my friend had a late 70's 300D before i joined the navy and it had over 300K miles, it was slow and smoked but it still ran decent. Some of the stuff listed would still apply too, like a roof rack and spare parts extra lighting upgraded suspension and so on
cant wait to hear opinions on this
i think that would be a great idea, though depending on how many miles youll be logging in it i would go even a bit newer with the mercedes. the w123 is a great car but i prefer the w124 -though youll have a hell of a time tracking down a w124 diesel wagon as they only made them for one year.

if you go w123, stick with the 5 cylinder so that it moves a bit faster than "biking" pace.

as an added bonus, both of these cars have rather decent suspensions when theyre in good shape, and ought to be able to clear some decent sized obstacles on logging roads or gravel paths.

Old 10-05-2011 | 10:34 AM
Winching

Man definitely go for the ex-MOD that way us poor married guys can live vicariously through you.

Quick Reply: Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel