Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011 | 03:42 AM
|
4wd High

Thank you for all the inputs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a large list going of everything I was going to take and do (like disabling the alarm so I don’t get stranded) and a lot of the items mentioned I have on my list which is reassuring. The key thing I like about the diesel is its ability to run on a dead battery, lack of sensors/electronics, water fording capability’s, fuel mileage I guess I like the thought of having to carry less fuel with me I didn’t really consider that. I like the V8 also because that’s all I’ve ever worked on or torn apart to rebuild so im familiar with them I’ve never actually worked on a diesel. V8’s are all we have in the US so it would be easier to initially build the truck, vs having to rip the drive train out and swap in the diesel and the hassle of getting one to the states. One other thing I forgot to ask, I have had automatics and I’ve had manuals but I don’t know which one is better off road I would lean towards manuals less to go wrong ?

I have a long list of stuff I have typed up ill post later and let yall take a look at it see what you think.

Old 10-04-2011 | 04:06 AM
|
4wd High

here's my list i was working on, now this is all long term but i was going to start buy parts/truck/equipment soon
what do yall think of this? anything im missing?

1995 Disco
External
-Sandglow yellow paint
-Matt black hood (reduce running light glare)
-Modified front bumper, sawn off end caps underneath
2 x 5 ton tow hitches
-Hood retaining pins
-front drivers side flag holder
3x5 American flag
-Bull bar
2 hella rectangular driving lamps mounted in bull bar
Warn XD9000 electric winch
Remote control for winch
Radiator grille sawn to accept winch
Work lamp to illuminate winch behind grille
Brush wires to roof rack
-roof rack
Sand tracks
Felling axe
Shovel
Pick axe
4 forward mounted spot lamps
2 hella fog, 2 hella driving
Camel Trophy Plaque in middle between lamps
Rear mounted work lamp
Additional spare wheel
Pelican Expedition cases
Towing ropes and straps
Exhaust jack
Small camel trophy plaque in rear
Tool straps
High lift jack
-rear lamp guards
-rear bumper notch for 1 x 5 ton tow hitch
-VHF radio antenna mount on rear passenger side
-rear ladder
-5 x 5.5” x 16” land rover defender steel rims (painted to match) 2 spares
215/75R15 BFGoodrich Mud terrain
-“camel cut” rear wheel arches
-replace body mounts
-heat shielding

Drive train
-300TDI diesel engine (non ecu controlled, EGR blocked off)
-5 manual speed gear box land rover R380
$$$$
-oil sump guard
-fuel tank guard
-Dural steering guard
-differential guards
-Snorkel and axel breathers
-heavy duty battery master switch
-dual deep cycle batteries
-HD springs
Helper springs in rear
-upgraded shocks
-poly bushing kit
-tie rod end kit
-WATER PROOF ENGINE!
-add onboard air
-HD alternator high output or second alternator mounted
-auxiliary transmission cooler (if auto)
-fan clutch upgrade
-alternator splash shield
-larger fuel tank

Interior
-dash mounted GPS
-VHF overhead mounted radio
-rear dog guard
-land rover water proof seat covers
-land rover rubber floor mats
-rear seats removed
-disable and remove SRS system (airbags)
-disable electric mirrors (less to short out)
-disable and alarm system
-WATER PROOF!!!!!
-install oil pressure, water temp, trans oil temp gauges (if auto)
-installed water tanks
-security grating over rear windows
-window tint

Kits
-storage in rear of disco for
Medical kit/survival pack
5 gallon Water jerry cans
Siphon tube
5 gallon Fuel jerry cans
Water proof food boxes
Spare parts boxs
Pelican expedition cases
Small welder?
Oxygen acetylene torch?
Power converter
small Air tank air hose & attachments
-2 fire extinguishers
One near driver
One on rear on hatch
-tire puncture kit
-tire levers

Spares kit
-oil filters
-thermostats
-fuel filters
-air filters
-clutch master cylinder
-clutch master cylinder repair kit
-clutch slave cylinder
-clutch slave cylinder repair kit
-clutch
(if manual trans)
-Universal joints
-brake kit
Wheel cylinders
Calipers
Hoses
-fuel lift pump (if 300TDI)
-Speedometer cable
-hub oil seals
-hub plastic caps
-hub bearing lock washers
-wheel bearing sets
-hub gaskets
-fan belts
-fan clutch
-light bulbs
-brake pads / shoes
-radiator cap
-gas cap
-engine transmission transfer case axle and hub oil
-grease Multipurpose/wheel bearing
-distilled water for radiator
-brake fluid
-hoses
-engine degreaser
-injectors (if 300TDI)
-full poly bushing set
-head gasket
-belt tensioner
-full set of belts
-timing belt kit (if 300TDI)
-o-ring kit
-alternator
-water pump
-hose clamps
-spare shocks
-throttle cable
-radiator/axle plastic plugs replaced with brass
-power steering pump
-RTV
-shop towels
-insulated wire #12AWG
-half shafts
-motor mounts/ Trans mount
-fuel cut off valve (if 300TDI)
-oil pump
-engine gasket set

Misc food items, camping stuff, nice tool kit, recovery items.

Old 10-04-2011 | 09:01 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by Spike555
My point was that on the trip he may have a hard time finding Rover TDI parts locally.
We already know of many parts from other engines that will work on the Rover V8 in a pinch, such as the IACV and the fan clutch.
Right, I know what you're getting at, but most of the parts that domestic equivalents replace, and which are common failure points, are parts that the 300Tdi's don't even need.
The fan clutch being about the only exception and a domestic one will replace that IIRC.

Not all 300Tdi's were built in Brazil, but they aren't uncommon.

Originally Posted by FC2Fitts
here's my list i was working on
External
  • -Modified front bumper, sawn off end caps underneath - I use a purpose built winch bumper
  • -Hood retaining pins - Lockable and remove/modify normal release so you don't need a cable
  • -front drivers side flag holder 3x5 American flag - These days may not be the best idea, but you will likely need a country of registration sticker anyway
  • Camel Trophy Plaque in middle between lamps - ??
  • Additional spare wheel - Might consider a second spare tire instead of complete wheel & tire - also take innner tubes, even for tubless tires and a quakity tubeless repair kit
  • Small camel trophy plaque in rear - ??
  • -5 x 5.5” x 16” land rover defender steel rims (painted to match) 2 spares - I'd use Wolf rims. They are the most rugged Rover wheels. You're pretty unlikely to need more than one spare rim
  • - 215/75R15 BFGoodrich Mud terrain - Not sure how you're going to fit a 15" tire on a 16" rim Personally I'd choose the narrowest 32" oD tire I could fine, ideally 7.50R16. Also choose a tire that's widely available in Central and South America
Drive train
  • -300TDI diesel engine (non ecu controlled, EGR blocked off) - Good choice
  • -5 manual speed gear box land rover R380 - I'd fit new or reconditioned 'K' or 'L'. Some people prefer automatic, it's a personal choice though manual is more field servicable.
  • -differential guards - You could replace the diff pans with pipe caps and not worry about knocking them off
  • -heavy duty battery master switch - Make sure it's really heavy duty, many aren't. You want one that will meet the needed duty cycle
  • -poly bushing kit - I'd go with new rubber ones. A lot of people complain of poly failures
  • -tie rod end kit - one right, one left. Also relocate your steering damper and fit a one piece HD track rod
  • -WATER PROOF ENGINE! - Diesels already are.
  • -auxiliary transmission cooler (if auto) - I'd fit an Ashcroft cooler kit even if R380
  • -larger fuel tank - Not much room for expansion there.

Interior
  • -rear dog guard - If to protect passengers better would be to make sure everything inside is properly lashed. The dog guards aren't very solid unless modified
  • -disable electric mirrors (less to short out) - No need to disable. If they short/fail, just leave them unrepaired. WHen working they can be useful for tight maneuvering
  • -install oil pressure, water temp, trans oil temp gauges (if auto) - add an EGT gauge if diesel, I'd use mechanical gauges for pressure and temp, voltmeter
Kits
  • Small welder? - Not needed, you can weld with your two batteries if you need to. If you don't know how to weld, definitely not
  • Oxygen acetylene torch? - not worth it for the extra weight IMO
Spares kit
  • -clutch master cylinder
  • -clutch master cylinder repair kit
  • -clutch slave cylinder
  • -clutch slave cylinder repair kit[BR]
    I'd replace entire brake/clutch system with new (replace flex hoses with SS) and only take repair kits plus one front and one rear caliper kit.
  • -clutch (if manual trans) - If new is fitted, that's a lot of extra weight in spares - fit HD release lever and clutch
  • -Speedometer cable - not sure I'd bother, it's not critical
  • -hub oil seals - RTC3511
  • -hub bearing lock washers- only one or two, they can be reused in a pinch
  • -wheel bearing sets - I'd only take at most two. If your hubs are rebuilt with new and RTC2511 seals all around they should be trouble free. Daily routine vehicle inspection should catch seal failures before you have bearing failure/damage
  • -brake pads / shoes - Not sure I'd bother. Baring some catastrophic contamination you can get them locally before they are worn down two much, plus with an R380 you won't be using your brakes as much.
  • -distilled water for radiator - I'd mix coolant solution and take it, it also helps to prevent overheating better than straight water. The value of distilled water however is that you can also drink it
  • -injectors (if 300TDI) - fit new or reconditioned and only take one or two
  • -full poly bushing set - if you fit rubber there should be no need for spares
  • -belt tensioner - I'd fit new and just take the bearings as spares
  • -alternator - I'd fit a field servicable alternator and just take components - If having charging issues, park on a slope if possible
  • -spare shocks - I don't think I'd bother if you fit new before leaving. A broken shock won't disable you and you can buy locally. Don't fit anything esoteric/hard to find.
  • -radiator/axle plastic plugs replaced with brass - fit a new radiator or a new HD core
  • -power steering pump - install a PS line filter
  • -fuel cut off valve (if 300TDI) - fit one of these 4261 - Intake Air Shutoff Valves which is a good safety device and can double as an engine shutoff if the pump solenoid dies. Though the solenoid is cheap, small and light.
  • -oil pump - Make sure you've fit a new one, not sure I'd take a spare
I'd add one outer CV unit

Remember, the more spares you take the more weight you're carrying and so the more likely you are to need spares.
Not mentioned but I wouldn't fit lockers if you have a winch.

You might want to go here: Expedition Portal Forum
There's a wealth of long distance travel information there and is less US/North America centric than this forum.
In the Land Rover section there's a pretty good D1 critical spares thread; Critical Spares List: Discovery I

If you're inclined to post your list there, I'd do a good bit of reading and modify your list based on your further research before posting for feedback.

Last edited by antichrist; 10-04-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-04-2011 | 10:46 AM
TReK

You forgot guns!!!

Old 10-04-2011 | 11:24 AM
|
4wd High

thank you for going over my list!! thats a lot of stuff i wouldn't have thought of / havent read about

the more i think about it the more im pretty sure im going to go with the 300TDI and a stick shift thanks for the opinions !

i thought it was a huge hassle to get guns into other countries?
unless you like hide them i guess but then god help you if they find them at customs or whatever.

Old 10-04-2011 | 11:37 AM
Pro Wrench

.50 Cal Air Rifle. More "legal".

Think of it like the Girandoni used by the Lewis and Clark expedition

Old 10-04-2011 | 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Would suggest larger pitch fan as well, and certainly spare fan blade. More cooling. A good source of the pelican style cases is your on-base DRMO, they sell them at auction, www.govliquidation.com.

Guns are real issue in some countries (like try for one in Jamacia). Should research that very closely.

Will you have enough room to tote all the spares? It's a Rover, not a U-Haul.

Old 10-04-2011 | 12:49 PM
|
4wd High

DRMO!!!!!!! Oh how I hate that place, I’ve spent many an afternoon hauling junk off the ship over there hahaha
I could pull a uhaul

No im just throwing ideas around right now I wouldn’t actually take all that I have listed, I will spend a while driving my truck in the states to get used to what i can do and what can potentially break then decide what I should take before I set off.

Old 10-04-2011 | 01:10 PM
Mudding

Hrmm.. I know somebody that is stationed at Ft. Bragg.. might have to see if i can have him pick up a lot of pelican cases for me..

Old 10-04-2011 | 02:14 PM

my few comments on tom's post...

i would bring two spare tires mounted on rims. im going to be doing that this winter and i only travel a state or two away to offroad.

extra fuel tank, there is one that fits in the rear seat footwell. i have seen it on the interwebs.

i would def go with the r380.

if using a winch you might one to get one that can be removed easily and stored in the truck as i have heard stories of them being stolen right off the truck while people are sleeping.

i would also get security gate for the windows to deter smash and grabs.

Quick Reply: Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel