Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011 | 11:26 AM
Baja

One thing I didn't think of was that fitting a 300Tdi to a '94 or '95 Disco here in the US wouldn't be an issue, but you might have trouble getting back in to the country with it. In which case the links Danny gave would be worth looking at. An '85 110 would be less hassle.
Yes, you could do a saloon or estate car, but then you're definitely limited to improved roads. Plus really limited on weight capacity.
With a 4WD you're not as restricted obviously. What I meant was that taking a trip here to go off-roading is different than a long trip where you're not only taking spares, but also gear for an extended period. Needing a 6th wheel and having to wait for it on a short trip off-roading can really screw your timeline more than it would on a multi-month trip where you can spend time exploring locally if you're afraid to head off because you've messed up your only spare wheel.

Old 10-05-2011 | 11:31 AM

When I looked at how that group was equipped, there would be NO QUESTIONS AT ALL WHICH WAY TO GO.

HOW ABOUT THOSE BUILT IN HYDRAULIC WENCHES, TOP RACK ON ONE WAS
UN-REAL. AND THE HEAVY DUTY INTERIOR RACKS, WOW.

CHEAPER THAN FIXING AND THEN MODDING A 95 DISCO. A FULLY BUILT, READY TO LOAD AND GO RIG.

I do not think you could do a comparable Discovery upgrade for that asking price, and you could have it delivered to the most desirable port of arrival. John picked his up in Baltimore Maryland. It has to clear customs. His did, I do not know what the restrictions are, but those dealers specialize in it.

One previous co-worker whose dad was BrewMaster for Busch Gardens got a Porsche Targa by his dad picking it up in Germany at the factory, using it there for a summer, then shipping it to Tampa as a used car.

Arranging a well planned trip of that nature is quite a lifetime experience. How long were you in the Navy? Are you traveling on a pension? Everyone dreams about doing such a trip, very few actually get to live their dreams like that. Reminds me of the new Jimmy Buffet song "KNEE DEEP" IN THE WATER SOMEWHERE, IS THE TIDE GOING TO REACH MY CHAIR,

ENJOY YOUR TRIP.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-05-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2011 | 12:01 PM

I DID NOT EVEN SEE THESE DEFENDER 90'S.

THAT 86 IS LESS THAN 4 GRAND, PLUS SHIPPING.

Makes me want one badly.

And those 110 and 130 work trucks were incredible.

Even the removed bodies they had were awesome. you could make one hell of a tow behind trailer frome one of those I bet.

Old 10-05-2011 | 12:12 PM
|
4wd High

Im really partial to the Disco I’ve loved the way they look for years when I was younger I remember my father watching the camel trophy videos over and over.

Im still in the navy been in 6 years got 14 to go so no trips over a couple weeks for right now, my plan is when I get out to leave on a loooooooong trip just drive ive always wanted to. But when I do get out I will be traveling on my pension if the government doesn’t take it away before I make it to 20, they’ve been talking about changing our retirement system to match the private sector it’d be more like a 401K, and you couldn’t touch it till your 59, a lot of good that would do me at 37 when im done.

To get around customs inspections coming back in one could come in across the Canadian border? Its not patrolled as the Mexican border right? Then just drive home ha!

Old 10-05-2011 | 12:32 PM

Oh, you make me laugh. I was a sailor from 1971-1975 and that was enough to last me a lifetime. You better find something you can drive and live out of, like a Dormobile that LR used to make.

But seriously, by the time you retire, they will probably have electric vehicles that run off the ni-cads or something on that level. Enjoy your pipe dreams.

Tour Europe on your leave.

Old 10-06-2011 | 10:00 AM
Pro Wrench

http://www.exmod.co.uk/othervehicles.html

damn danny lee....i was content with my truck but now I want one of those. i wonder if i could get away with a right hand drive over here.

Old 10-06-2011 | 11:31 AM
TReK

I'd be afraid to get a RHD vehicle...after I moved back to the states, I had the hardest time keeping my rig on the right side of the road. Almost caused dozens of accidents cause I kept driving in the left lane. I could only guess that a RHD would put me back in the left lane again.

Old 10-06-2011 | 01:13 PM

Yeah , when I saw John's Ex Mod crossing the creek it made me want one of those as well. That group of Defendrs would be hard to beat since they are already beefed up and damn well equipped for the prices. You would be hard pressed to out do them for less money.

Old 10-07-2011 | 01:38 PM
Pro Wrench

i didnt have any problem switching back and forth after living overseas. on the bike either. now driving on the right hand side of the car on the right hand side of the road might be tricky. but mailmen do it. but they are prone to flipping out too.

Old 10-07-2011 | 02:29 PM

I rode in an old British Ambulance one of the local LR owners group has. It is an old LR with a big box on the back. He calls it the Royal Meatwagon. He takes it on trail rides.

It was strange sitting on the left front side while John drove it thru town. That shifting with the left hand would feel strange at first.

Quick Reply: Expedition truck set up- V8 vs diesel