Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

First day on the road .... Not a good day

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012 | 05:53 AM
Rock Crawling

None of these blocks are immune to this feature.
Sometimes you can't see anything visible. Sometimes you can see coolant washing of the block at the bottom of the sleeves when you remove the oil pan.
You can google land rover engine block testing and find youtube videos of guys pressure testing the blocks and finding leaks at the sleeves.
You also could have ordered an engine block tester online, instead of stating there are none available local.
One thing I would recommend though is to make sure you fix your overheat problem before wasting a lot time and money on a new engine just so you can overheat it again and be back to where you are now.
I've witnessed lots of overheat scenarios where enigines were replaced and they still overheated.
One vehicle (i'll never forget this one) would be fine while driving and then instantly pin the needle. It turned out to have a ball of some sort in the radiator tank. The ball would float around the tank then find its way to the radiator neck randomly and get stuck in the water neck blocking the coolant flow.
There are a few things I would recommend you check here.
Make sure your electric cooling fans operate (both of them). If you turn on the A/C they both sould come on, they should also come on when at a certain engine temp.
Check your viscous fan clutch is good, If you're not sure Get a new one
Make sure your radiator is not clogged or restricted. You mentioned Kseal that **** can ruin a good day.
Remove the radiator fan shroud drive the truck till it's at operating temp, shut off engine, remove the viscous fan and check for cold spots on the radiator. Have it checked and rodded again or replace it.
This is basic stuff.. Please make sure it's right before moving on.

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 06-10-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2012 | 11:37 AM
|
Mudding

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear though my truck no longer overheats other than when/if it gets air locked which I avoid by bleeding the coolant before driving each time (don't need to drive much).

I won the previous overheating battle with a new radiator, new water pump, new fan clutch and new thermostat. Now its just a matter of getting rid of the exhaust that contiunally bubbles into my coolant.

And I was referring to the chemical exhaust in coolant test that I could not find locally - figured it was easier to just pay a LR indy shop to do this test than order online.

Pressure test - well yes. I am kicking myself for not doing this while I had the heads off - guess I was just convinced it was just the HG which is the usual culprit. Live and learn I guess ...

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
None of these blocks are immune to this feature.
Sometimes you can't see anything visible. Sometimes you can see coolant washing of the block at the bottom of the sleeves when you remove the oil pan.
You can google land rover engine block testing and find youtube videos of guys pressure testing the blocks and finding leaks at the sleeves.
You also could have ordered an engine block tester online, instead of stating there are none available local.
One thing I would recommend though is to make sure you fix your overheat problem before wasting a lot time and money on a new engine just so you can overheat it again and be back to where you are now.
I've witnessed lots of overheat scenarios where enigines were replaced and they still overheated.
One vehicle (i'll never forget this one) would be fine while driving and then instantly pin the needle. It turned out to have a ball of some sort in the radiator tank. The ball would float around the tank then find its way to the radiator neck randomly and get stuck in the water neck blocking the coolant flow.
There are a few things I would recommend you check here.
Make sure your electric cooling fans operate (both of them). If you turn on the A/C they both sould come on, they should also come on when at a certain engine temp.
Check your viscous fan clutch is good, If you're not sure Get a new one
Make sure your radiator is not clogged or restricted. You mentioned Kseal that **** can ruin a good day.
Remove the radiator fan shroud drive the truck till it's at operating temp, shut off engine, remove the viscous fan and check for cold spots on the radiator. Have it checked and rodded again or replace it.
This is basic stuff.. Please make sure it's right before moving on.

Old 06-11-2012 | 08:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok I didn't see a post (since you did the head gaskets and thought you had an o heat problem) that stated it was not overheating or you rectified it. And just to be on the safe side, I don't recall you stating that the electric cooling fans were cycling, make sure they are working and if they are not look into that too.
I didn't mean to "you should have/or could have done that" we've all been down this
road, some of us more than others. You made an educated decision.

Old 06-12-2012 | 10:45 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
Ok I didn't see a post (since you did the head gaskets and thought you had an o heat problem) that stated it was not overheating or you rectified it. And just to be on the safe side, I don't recall you stating that the electric cooling fans were cycling, make sure they are working and if they are not look into that too.
I didn't mean to "you should have/or could have done that" we've all been down this
road, some of us more than others. You made an educated decision.
Yeah - I might not have been very clear. Had overheating problem which was fixed ... came back (which was later determined to be due to getting air in system from exhaust leak) and now can avoid overheating by frequent bleeding/not driving the truck. You are right - never mentioned the electric cooling fans - but they are coming on with the AC as well as when the truck had overheated in the past.

Next weekend I plan to pull the engine and do a pressure test on the block - this should hopefully make sure I do in fact have a slipped sleve. The last thing i want is to buy a new block and find out nothing was wrong with the old one and I just botched the HG job - I don't have any reason to believe I did since i followed the instructions to the book and calibrated my torque wrenches prior to starting but I guess weirder things have happened.

Old 06-13-2012 | 10:14 AM
Camel Trophy

Where the heads pressure tested by the shop that milled them?

Old 06-13-2012 | 10:53 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Where the heads pressure tested by the shop that milled them?
Yes - they pressure tested and did a full valve job in addition to milling.

Old 06-13-2012 | 02:28 PM
Camel Trophy

So heads aren't cracked. You did torque the head bolts to 20 Nm and then 90 degrees, then another 90 degrees?

Old 06-13-2012 | 02:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Just asking. Hey, I had a hg fail in only a year and a half.....

Old 06-13-2012 | 04:15 PM
Mudding

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only difference between the 4.0 and 4.6 is displacement. Anyone?

Old 06-13-2012 | 04:35 PM
Camel Trophy

Crank and con rods, just short block it.

How did your 99's block turn out?

Quick Reply: First day on the road .... Not a good day