Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

First day on the road .... Not a good day

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012 | 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

if air can get in a pressure test should make leak in same spot

Old 06-05-2012 | 12:53 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
if air can get in a pressure test should make leak in same spot
Unless the air is getting in from inside the engine ... the pressure build up is bad. Here is a video showing how much gas comes through the coolant every 70 secs or so ...

you can skip to about 20 secs in:

Old 06-08-2012 | 01:38 PM
|
Mudding

Unable to find the exhaust gas coolant tester in town, I just ended up bringing to an indy shop that said they would look at it for 1hr labor.

Confirmed that the coolant is holding pressure and no leaks and confirmed alot of exhaust getting into coolant .... Based on this and given that it did this before and after my head rebuild and HG replacement, a slipped liner is pretty much confirmed.

Guess I am on the market for a new bottom end now....

Old 06-08-2012 | 01:54 PM
Rock Crawling

lucky for you there is one in the for sale section lol

Old 06-08-2012 | 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Kseal?

Old 06-08-2012 | 01:59 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Kseal?
Unfortunately, I tried this before the HG job and didn't help.

Old 06-08-2012 | 02:10 PM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by filbs
lucky for you there is one in the for sale section lol
This one? https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...s-block-50144/

I send him a message asking on the engine's history and didn't get a reply ... if he is not a parts guy it didn't really make sense to me why the heads and rest of the car would be isolated from a perfectly good block ... but if I got a reply some background could hopefully clear this up.

Old 06-09-2012 | 01:56 PM
|
Mudding

Does anyone have any experience with confirmed Disco1 slipped liners? It appears as if this problem is more a D2 problem than D1 so this is all I can find info about. I will have to pull off the heads regardless so I guess it doesn't matter too much but from what I hear there is normally a ring around the head on the slipped sleeve here it is ramming against the cylinder head? I did not notice any of this when I had my heads off ...

I mean its either a liner or was a broken HG (despite no weird wear on the HG) and I botched the replacement .... But I don't think so - had the heads machined and followed instructons to the letter.

I am in the market now for a new short block and just had a fear in the bank of my mind that I am going to buy a new block and when I do the swap, find nothing was actually wrong with my bottom end!

Old 06-09-2012 | 09:16 PM
Mudding

I can relate. I've got a block in my garage holding up some spare tires. I did head gaskets on it. Started it up. Ran good until around 5 minutes after operating temp. Then fouled out number 8 again and was pushing out steam.
Visual inspection when disassembled show no signs of a liner slipping.
I bought another 4.0 and just swapped them.
These engines are junk. It's a fact. I keep meaning to have this one inspected but haven't made the time.
If I was in your shoes. I would find a 4.0 or 4.6 out of a wrecked LR, put in new gaskets and seals, and roll on.
My 2 cents.

Old 06-10-2012 | 12:28 AM
|
Mudding

Originally Posted by ToddD
I can relate. I've got a block in my garage holding up some spare tires. I did head gaskets on it. Started it up. Ran good until around 5 minutes after operating temp. Then fouled out number 8 again and was pushing out steam.
Visual inspection when disassembled show no signs of a liner slipping.
I bought another 4.0 and just swapped them.
These engines are junk. It's a fact. I keep meaning to have this one inspected but haven't made the time.
If I was in your shoes. I would find a 4.0 or 4.6 out of a wrecked LR, put in new gaskets and seals, and roll on.
My 2 cents.
Glad to see I am not the only one, Todd.

I have actually recently been reading up on the 4.6 conversion. Do you know - can I just replace as a bolt on and use my heads with it (since they are rebuilt) or is not possible?

Quick Reply: First day on the road .... Not a good day