Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

First day on the road .... Not a good day

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First day on the road .... Not a good day

Well - The day has finally come yesterday that I got my overheading fixed, front axle fixed, replaced all fluids and filters and got the Rover running to a point that I was happy ... No overheating, handles okay, no check engine light, feels relatively responsive.

Now two problems which I could not have figured out while in the garage have emerged...

#1) Failed emissions testing:

Hydrocarbon g/km Max - 0.5000 Me 0.9231 FAIL
Carbon Monoxide g/km Max - 8.0800 Me - 12.8585 FAIL
NOx g/km Max - 1.1200 Me - 1.6441

#2) Having issues starting when warm occassionally ... fine within first 15 mins, sometimes fine within 30, sometimes takes some effort to start ... after an hour no issues again.

#3) Don't know if this is an issue or a symptom but when getting gas today some pressure was released when I opened the tank. Don't know if this is normal or not.

For diagnosic purposes the relevant things I have done since it failed last time with the previous owner that gave me the truck
- New plug and wires
- New radiator (fixed overheating issue)
- ALL new fluids (coolant, oil, trans, diffs, transfer case)

Was really hoping the overheating was causing the previous fail but doesn't look like it ... got abit excited when the CEL stopped coming on but guess it was in vain ... in fact the results are worse than they were last time the truck was testing ...

No insurance for me .... back to the garage....

Old 05-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Mudding

They also gave me a colorful picture ... doesn't mean much to me but maybe it will to someone else?

Attached Thumbnails First day on the road .... Not a good day-inspection-results.jpg  
Old 05-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The gas release thing is normal if you are running low on gas, I wouldn't worry about it. Just so you know, there was a recall on our gas tanks because it was not venting properly. You should call your local dealer and see if your model was one of the ones affected. They will ask for you VIN. They do it for free, but if your fuel lines get destroyed they charge you. Just so you know.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On my gas cap it says that there will be a hissing noise, open slowly.

Iconsider that hissing noise to be a good thing, to me it indicates that the tank and lines are holding pressure. I expect it to hiss and like it when it does.

I think all the DI's had a gas tank recall. The older ones did tend to split. You can click on the TSB & Recalls Tab at the header on this page and learn a lot about every recall and technical issue that these had.

I suggest you get a ultraguage or other live data scanner and look at the variables for thinhgs like the O2 sensors and such. Did you any codes? What were they?

Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Mudding

Well... about an hour after the emissions test failed, the CEL light came on ... damn - wish that would have happened 1+ hrs earlier and saved me $50.

I don't have a code reader right now (its not in town) but hopefully this might help me diagnose.

In addition to the above information, I did a compression test awhile ago and got the following reading:
cyl.#/psi
1--175
2--173
3--170
4--175
5--171
6--155
7--175
8--170

Aside from 6 I think these aren't that bad? Does this tell me the internals are in okay shape and the problem likely lies in emissions system or injection system? Maybe fuel injectors or O2?

Any thoughts?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to take mine to the dealer and talk with a tech who showed me on his screen what my rover and it's sensors were doing. It costs about $100 +/- but when it comes to sensors and the related costs it's best to pay a pro to read your truck or you can go with an ug and start looking at what the numbers mean.
I just installed an ultra gauge in my disco. Best part I've ever installed. It shows voltage output of the O2's.

Also, please explain the method you used when you did the compression test, all the details of that test and how you did it are helpful.

What triggered the CEL?

You also failed to mention what year vehicle you're talking about and engine type. I'm assuming 1996 or newer D1 with a 4.0 but please share this detail with us too.

Last edited by ToddD; 05-14-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by yoshibond
#2) Having issues starting when warm occassionally ... fine within first 15 mins, sometimes fine within 30, sometimes takes some effort to start ... after an hour no issues again.
Maybe I'm crazy but this could easily be attributed to fuel temperature. Someone else please chime in with your D1 Fuel Temp Sensor experience. I have had this issue with my Toyota FJ80. The sensor was sending a temperature which was lower than actual, which equaled a rich condition, more fuel into the air fuel mixture.

Originally Posted by yoshibond
back to the garage....
You drive a disco, get used to it.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

With all the work perhaps fuel temp sensor was left unplugged... on fuel rail driver's front.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
With all the work perhaps fuel temp sensor was left unplugged... on fuel rail driver's front.
Wouldn't that jive with starting issues at operating temp? I'm thinking yes.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

A faulty fuel temp sensor will cause hard starts when hot, the engine will either get to much or not enough fuel.
Either will cause hard starts and if to much fuel it will cause flooding.

Quick Reply: First day on the road .... Not a good day