Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

First day on the road .... Not a good day

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checked. Ultra gauge EM does not give fuel temperature sensor data. Last time I pulled that was using a friends scanner. I think it was a snap on MT2500.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToddD
I had to take mine to the dealer and talk with a tech who showed me on his screen what my rover and it's sensors were doing. It costs about $100 +/- but when it comes to sensors and the related costs it's best to pay a pro to read your truck or you can go with an ug and start looking at what the numbers mean.
I just installed an ultra gauge in my disco. Best part I've ever installed. It shows voltage output of the O2's.

Also, please explain the method you used when you did the compression test, all the details of that test and how you did it are helpful.

What triggered the CEL?

You also failed to mention what year vehicle you're talking about and engine type. I'm assuming 1996 or newer D1 with a 4.0 but please share this detail with us too.
Sorry - Yes 1996 with the 4.0L. Yes maybe an ultraguage is in order.

The compression test numbers were the dry test results.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Mudding

Also for a list of codes I was getting before I fixed the overheating issue see https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...em-4:mad:8267/

I don't know which ones came back today (reset them last time I read) but perhaps ifI assume the heating ones were fixed with the new rad and temp sensor I put in, that leaves fuel temp sensor and the o2 sensors maybe?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Mudding

You drive a disco, get used to it.
Correction: I own a disco, spend my disposal income on a disco, think about discos, and read about discos ... do pretty much everything except drive it

Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Mudding

Wouldn't that jive with starting issues at operating temp? I'm thinking yes.
I think you are correct as well. This could easily explain the hard starts - but I don't think it explains the overall very high emissions results (does it?). Before I investigate the hard starts and other issues, I want to get it to a point where I can get it overall running well and through emissions.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

See attached for ohms readings for the fuel temp sensor. 23K to 1.1 K depending on temp, as I recall, for GEMS, but a different value for 14CUX versions. Also attached is overview of Rover injection system, please read last page on closed loop operation. Because these sensors drop resistance as temp increases, corrosion or gunk on connector can make ECU believe it is a different temp, and act as programmed for that situation. If ECU "thinks" it is doing the right thing, it won't turn on a CEL.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 fuel temp page.pdf (159.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: pdf
LR_Fuel_InjectionSystems.pdf (413.4 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-15-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
See attached for ohms readings for the fuel temp sensor. 23K to 1.1 K depending on temp, as I recall, for GEMS, but a different value for 14CUX versions. Also attached is overview of Rover injection system, please read last page on closed loop operation. Because these sensors drop resistance as temp increases, corrosion or gunk on connector can make ECU believe it is a different temp, and act as programmed for that situation. If ECU "thinks" it is doing the right thing, it won't turn on a CEL.

Yes this makes sense. If the O2 is broken it will default to open loop system and likely will produce a rich condition. But does this explain failing on all of HC, CO and NOX?

Regarding the fuel temp sensor - this should only affect hot start-ups right? Not the vehicle operation once its running ?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Mudding

No, as I said earlier, the fuel temp sensor can create a rich condition = too much fuel = failed emissions test.
Your hard starting issue could be an indication of a faulty fuel temp sensor.
Go get those sensors checked out, o2's and fuel temp, and let us know.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by yoshibond
But does this explain failing on all of HC, CO and NOX?
Yes it could.

Originally Posted by yoshibond
Regarding the fuel temp sensor - this should only affect hot start-ups right? Not the vehicle operation once its running ?
If your engine is 195 degrees and the fuel temp sensor tells the computer it's cooler or hotter it will add or subtract gas to the mix accordingly. Make sense? So yes, it could affect it.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
See attached for....
Thanks for the files dude. Saved them. You're like a LR encyclopedia.

Quick Reply: First day on the road .... Not a good day