Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fly wheel tooth missing

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

From pix, it would appear if oil pan is off, and you rotate to right spot, you may have room to just drill and tap. The reluctor plate is already bolted to something, so it won't be moving. The crtitical spot is edge of tab to next edge of next tab, those need to be equal with existing. Width of new tab must equal old.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drill and tap sounds good....that does not sound like welding...but who would do this? The mechanic won't. How can I find someone to do this interesting alternative method??

Old 04-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very interesting. For the quoted price of repair, you may be able to find a good used engine.

It would be a shame to get rid of it for such a problem. I looked at the listing on CL, I was surprised how much the other LR's on that Asheville CL were asking for theirs. They must sell high in that area compared to what I typically see. Looked like a nice condition on your 98. Most Disco's are pretty well worn at that age.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ah Buzz you're suggesting to drill and tap a hole to bolt a tab on? Alternatively, maybe some sort of epoxy would work too.

To find a welder I'd call a fabrication shop, or machine shop and talk to them.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Ah Buzz you're suggesting to drill and tap a hole to bolt a tab on? Alternatively, maybe some sort of epoxy would work too.

To find a welder I'd call a fabrication shop, or machine shop and talk to them.
x2 - call machine shop and ask them who they recommend for precision welding and let them know if you're situation and they will point you in the right direction. It should cost no more that $100 to have a 5MM tab welded on as long ad you have oil pan and access plate removed.

Do not epoxy and I'm not sure what Buzz means by drill and tap

Old 04-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With things like JB Weld, you could never hope to get the precision placement you would need. I think Eric has the best suggestion I have heard yet.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
With things like JB Weld, you could never hope to get the precision placement you would need. I think Eric has the best suggestion I have heard yet.
There is some room for error but with that said using an epoxy or JB weld is a you know what type of fix....

Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why can't you get a used one from one of the members that part out LRs? They get Disco's with bad engines that should have a good flywheel.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Why can't you get a used one from one of the members that part out LRs? They get Disco's with bad engines that should have a good flywheel.
You very well could BUT you still have to remove the t-case and trans or engine to remove the fly wheel... Thats why it would 100x easier and cheaper to just weld the little tab back on.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
You very well could BUT you still have to remove the t-case and trans or engine to remove the fly wheel... Thats why it would 100x easier and cheaper to just weld the little tab back on.
Is it easier and cheaper if you get it done and then have a random misfire or pre-detonation because the welder claims it is now perfect but in fact it wasn't done right?

A machinist will require you to pull the flywheel to do the job right. Might as well replace the unit then.

A welder could do the job, but you are looking at a minimum charge of 1hour labor(up here that is $125). If he botches the job because the welder is set too hot...

When it is all said and done, you may end up spending a lot of money needlessly. But it might work and then you'd have no more problems(in that area). Good luck. If it were me, I'd source a good, used unit and try to get the damaged unit repaired. If the repair didn't work, then I'd at least have the spare part on hand.

Quick Reply: Fly wheel tooth missing