Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Front End Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

my buddies dodge ram has it we did everything to his and mine, my death wobble is gone his is still there cause he will not get rid of the mudd tires, rotating them worked for a short time till they started to wear then it was back

as far as balancing, to many are in such a rush they spin the tire, slap on the weight and off it goes, they never respin to be sure it zeros out with the weights on, if the weights are not real close to where the machine said to put them the tire will not balance out, and you can balance out a bent/bad rim seen is done

since you rotated is the back end vibrating now? were the tires worn uneven? just curious and glad you found something that helped

Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Having been in the automotive/tire industry for years the first thing I thought when I saw your pics was "wow I bet those mud terrains ride like sh*t". I've seen guys run these tires and have worn parts on the front end..so the paddles wear uneven...then front end is fixed..bolt on funky worn tire and front end still feels like crap.

I think your rotate might help since you cured the actual problem(s).

Nice truck by the way. I now have serious rod envy. Hahah

Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
... since you rotated is the back end vibrating now? were the tires worn uneven? just curious and glad you found something that helped
Thanks, me too! The back end my be vibration a little but not much. They don't look worn uneven to the eye so it's hard to tell.

One thing to mention now that I think of it; this all started again after my son picked up a nail on the way home and had a slow leak that caused the tire to lose all it's air overnight. It was on the front drivers side. I pulled the nail myself and plugged the hole. Even though it was a small hole, I guess the plug and glue material could have caused it to get out of balance.

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Having been in the automotive/tire industry for years the first thing I thought when I saw your pics was "wow I bet those mud terrains ride like sh*t". I've seen guys run these tires and have worn parts on the front end..so the paddles wear uneven...then front end is fixed..bolt on funky worn tire and front end still feels like crap.

I think your rotate might help since you cured the actual problem(s).

Nice truck by the way. I now have serious rod envy. Hahah
It doesn't ride bad at all. Not a lot of road noise. The next set of tires are going to be a good set of AT's, no more MT's.

Overall I'm glad it was a balance issue because I was really starting to doubt my mechanical skills.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

could have damaged/shifted a belt in the tire, setting flat could have caused a flat spot but driving would have made that go away