Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Front/rear wiper , washer problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 03:33 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front/rear wiper , washer problems

Hello, my wifes 1998 disco1 has arbitrarily decided for us that intermittant front wipers are no longer a necessity, and the wiper union has decided that the rear wiper has the ability to decide for itself when acceptable working hours will be, regardless of our desires and interests. And to top it off, the wiper pump has decided in a show of solidarity to pump all of our fluid out whenever the hell it wants to, sometimes in the middle of the night when we are sleeping, but never when we are requesting it. This just happened on day and I am slightly befuddled and not all that anxious to rip into Lucas electronics lest I tear out all the wiring and re-loom it myself, the idea of doing so terrifies my wife as it will become a project for the ages. Can someone make a suggestion on how and where the fault may lie?

Old 01-27-2022, 08:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

If the wipers are doing funky things, you are having a wiring issue or something involving a green board with a bunch of little silver beads

what about your wiper stalk? Is it loose? Fuse box?

You may just have to do like me and not ever drive it in the rain.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:20 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wiper stalk still operates the front wipers in high /low, not convinced it is wiring because then something would have had to have happened to the wiring, a short at a wiring connection might be possible , a corroded wire would not give erratic operation, it would instead give no or sporadic operation when called upon and this happens without provocation, but the rear wiper button does not operate the wiper anymore so I am thinking it is a relay or board problem. While I am researching it, I was hoping that someone else might have had a similar problem and could cut my investigative time considerably

Old 01-27-2022, 09:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

remove the footwell kick panel on the drivers side, there are several relays down there and i know from personal experience that the rear wwiper one is definitely there, they get corroded, possibly even wet and do all kinds of crazy stuff. o one of my disco's i bypassed the relay and just went from the fuse box to the switch and back to the rear wiper.....but look them over good it's a known likely trouble spot, there's also a ground terminal there that you should clean also ...you'll see it > several black wires bolted to the body right there....let us know what you find

The following users liked this post:
WaltNYC (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 01:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 227 Likes on 196 Posts

This may be related to the rear wiper problem. My fog light switch (pushbutton type, like the rear wiper switch) stopped switching. I took the switch apart and cleaned the green sticky grease off the contacts and polished them, now it works fine.