Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel gauge stuck on e

Old 09-16-2018, 12:08 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gauge stuck on e

i had to replace my fuel pump assembly and harness. I have a 98 disco, 50th anniv. Edition. The replacement assembly is a brand new 97 disco and my wiring harness is out of a junk yard. Im going for emissions soon and it runs great aside from the fuel gauge problem

Old 09-17-2018, 10:34 PM
4wd Low

Little more info. I have the version equipped with the advanced emissions and bought the one without the emissions sensor in it. $70 vs $250+ fuel pump assembly. I removed the emissions sensor from my old assembly and put it in the new one. Prior to changing the assemblies out, my fuel guage worked. Now the guage just reads e. I know the guage is fine, as the light indicator is also on. The tank is also full.

i mainly want to know if swapping out the floater arm, ie that little circuit board its attached to as well. With one from a correct assembly would fix the gauge.

or

swap out my fuel guage with one from an older model would work.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

It is probably the arm/float that is the issue. Or the sweeper that reads the arm. It functions much like a rheostat, with the arm sliding over a coil or piece of metal and the gauge reading this resistance change to move the needle

Old 09-19-2018, 11:53 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

You can always pull out the fuel pump assembly, apply a meter to the contacts, set it to ohms/ resistance then raise, and lower the float to see if the resistance changes it should raise and lower as you move the float up and down

Old 09-20-2018, 09:41 PM
4wd Low

I dont doubt the float. I suspect the issue lies with either the harness (junkyard) or compatibility issues between the assembly and my disco.

my diso is a 1998 50th anniv. With the 4.0 and an auto trans. Mine is also equipped with the advanced emissions. The pump assembly i bought is a 1997 without the advanced emissions sensor. I only just removed the sensor from the old "correct" assembly and installed it in the 97 assembly.

Only difference between the assemblies that i was aware of was just that sensor.

Wanted an opinion on which route i could take without having to buy the significantly more expensive pump.

Check/replace harness

swap out the floater

swap out the guage

only issue with the rover at the moment, is just the guage. I took care of all error codes and cel is off. There are also no pending codes either.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:54 AM
TReK
Received 417 Likes on 349 Posts

What part of your old unit went bad? The pump itself is easy and cheap to replace.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:11 PM
4wd Low

sorry for the delay. been working so much lately. to answer your question. my father butchered the old unit, past the point where i felt comfortable enough repairing it myself. i have an AEL equipped rover. the correct pumps aren't cheap by a long shot. prices vary from $250-$980. that being said did some research as to what the impedence levels are for the pumps and they do differ, but not by much ie F= 240 vs 270 and E= 15 vs 20. now with that being said the correct pump has the lower values and the one I currently have installed has the higher ones. If im understanding this correctly my gauge should be reading, just not accurately. now my guage is just stuck on e. so I think the issue is with my wiring harness at the pump. it is out of a junkyard and there was corrosion on one of the pins.

anyone know what color wire goes to what for the wiring harness on the pump? i still have my original pump harness, its just the plug for the pump has been cut off when it melted.