Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injectors

Hi to all,
I have a problem with my LR 300TDI ES 1994(auto),after a trip i had my check engine light went on and after i checked them they were in bad contition and i replaced them with new ones.Now the car starts with difficulty and after it starts it needs about 3-4 minutes to balance,I think the injectors pump seems to loose presure for a 3-4 minutes and after it runs normaly and even better than before,take notice that for that 3-4 minutes it makes a lot of smoke.Why?
If someone knows please help...
Thanks..

Andreas Soleas.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like either they need bled out or your fuel pump is loosing its prime. Either way your getting air in the system causing the hard start and rough running. Also make sure that the fuel filter isnt clogged or leaking.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 AM
3rd Gear

Thank's for the reply Brian but I checked everything and I took it to an expert with pumps and injectors and told me to take out the injector pump and take it to him,but that's very difficult becauce i have to remove the half side of the engine.
What make's me wonder is why after 3-4 minutes the engine runs perfectly...!!!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did all the injectors seal down properly, would be my first question? Any loss of pressure inside the fuel system will cause air interuption. Toss a gauge on each seperate injector tube. Attach the gauge directly to the outlet ports on the Injector pump. What are the values? Any pressure differences will tell you where the problem is. Injector pumps are known to go bad, but you need to check the pressure the pump is supplieing to each injector. This and only this will tell you if there is something wrong with the pump. The 3-4 minute thing tells me you have a leak somewhere. No pressure at start-up until the pump takes over. A quicker check is to crack one injector at a time while the engine is running. Lets say if after you cracked #4 injector the engine showed no change in idle or smoothness. This would be the problem area. If the injector and the rest of that fuel system were good you should feel a change in the engine when you crack that injector open. Hope this helps. Diesel mechanic over 25 years. PM me for more help if you need it.

Last edited by LRD2&ME; 07-22-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:30 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andreas78
Hi to all,
I have a problem with my LR 300TDI ES 1994(auto),after a trip i had my check engine light went on and after i checked them they were in bad contition and i replaced them with new ones.Now the car starts with difficulty and after it starts it needs about 3-4 minutes to balance,I think the injectors pump seems to loose presure for a 3-4 minutes and after it runs normaly and even better than before,take notice that for that 3-4 minutes it makes a lot of smoke.Why?
If someone knows please help...
Thanks..

Andreas Soleas.
What color smoke? Makes a huge difference in diagnosis. I would look to fuel filter replacement and a leaky injector(not sealed, therefore bleeding down).

Old 07-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Winching

Diesels you always bleed up. starting from the injector pump to the injectors. Short runs first, then the long runs.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 AM
3rd Gear

thank you all again for your replies...I double checked everething but i couldn't find something wrong so I opened the injector pump from her back..I noticed that a small ball was misplaced and i think it's from a small cylinder...I will try to put her again back and hope I will do it correct...otherwise it's going to the garage and my pocket goes empty..... )

Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

And the 3-4 minutes may also be a clue, if the leak was being closed off by components warming up. So certainly inspect closely when starting - you watching and valued assistant operating the controls.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Winching

Sounds like that is a check ball which only allows fuel in one direction. Should have a spring that goes with it if it is from the fuel feeder valve. You will find check ***** at each fuel feeder valve and two at the governor level assembly.

Last edited by LRD2&ME; 07-26-2011 at 12:15 PM.