Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel Pump Harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Harness

Can someone show me a pic of a fuel pump harness for a 97 Discovery? I replaced my fuel pump a few months ago and it's running great except that the fuel gauge reading stayed on empty even if the gas tank is full. I purchased a 97 Disco fuel pump harness but the connector under the truck is not the same as the connector that I got. I looked online and all the pics I got was the same as what I bought. Are there 2 ( or more ) kinds of fuel pump harness for a 97 Disco?
Can someone show me a 1997 Discovery fuel pump harness?
Thanks in advance
Erwin

Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'97 was a cross-over year for what they call AEL emissions system. It uses a different fuel pump(late '97) as compared to an earlier '97.

Look up a harness for a '96 and a '98 and see which one looks like your's

Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle

OK, so after looking, they use the same harness, just an extra plug on the AEL version thats not used on pre-AEL's.

This look right?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/YMT100050G.cfm

Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by kenk
OK, so after looking, they use the same harness, just an extra plug on the AEL version thats not used on pre-AEL's.

This look right?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/YMT100050G.cfm
Thanks for the info, Kenk!
I believe that's the one I need but.......ouch on the price tag! lol

Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check with Rovers North and other suppliers as well. I have an early 97 which is pre-AEL like the 96 and it does not have the extra plug. Looks like that one is made for either or.

I would crawl under and trace the actual wiring before I would spend that much on one stupid little harness. That price is ludicrous.

On the pre-AEL, the power and fuel level are on the same connector since there is only one connector.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Check with Rovers North and other suppliers as well. I have an early 97 which is pre-AEL like the 96 and it does not have the extra plug. Looks like that one is made for either or.

I would crawl under and trace the actual wiring before I would spend that much on one stupid little harness. That price is ludicrous.

On the pre-AEL, the power and fuel level are on the same connector since there is only one connector.
I will follow your advice before I started shopping around, Danny Lee.

Thanks
Erwin

Old 03-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by roving patrol
Thanks for the info, Kenk!
I believe that's the one I need but.......ouch on the price tag! lol

Yea, I just linked that one for the pic. I would probably source a good used southern one before I would spend that kind of money.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 AM

I don't know what the input is for the fuel guage from the sender, it is probably listed somewhere in the RAVE technical description section. But I would want to ensure the guage is indeed good before spending big bucks on a new harness that may or may not be the problem.

With an ohmmeter, you should be able to make some readings. It probably varies in resistance depending upon the fuel level. After all it is a float riding on what appears to be a resistive element. You could have a loose contact in the existing connectors, some foreign material could be blocking a connection, you may have a broken wire somewhere, or damaged insulation are all possible causes.

Get underneath it with a good flashlight. Take a meter and make some readings. You could disconnect the existing harness and read directly across the element internal to the fuel pump. With it connected, you could pull the connector off the guage under the funky housing around the instrument panel and see if you get the same reading.

Chase down the real problem and save some money and frustration.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I don't know what the input is for the fuel guage from the sender, it is probably listed somewhere in the RAVE technical description section. But I would want to ensure the guage is indeed good before spending big bucks on a new harness that may or may not be the problem.

With an ohmmeter, you should be able to make some readings. It probably varies in resistance depending upon the fuel level. After all it is a float riding on what appears to be a resistive element. You could have a loose contact in the existing connectors, some foreign material could be blocking a connection, you may have a broken wire somewhere, or damaged insulation are all possible causes.

Get underneath it with a good flashlight. Take a meter and make some readings. You could disconnect the existing harness and read directly across the element internal to the fuel pump. With it connected, you could pull the connector off the guage under the funky housing around the instrument panel and see if you get the same reading.

Chase down the real problem and save some money and frustration.
Hey Danny Lee,
Thanks for the step by step instructions. I will do all those mentioned over the weekend and see what I come up with. I will give you guys an update and hopefully, this thread becomes resourceful for others!
Erwin

Old 03-01-2011, 05:27 PM

Glad you found it helpful. I just sat down at the keyboard and just started putting down my thoughts on what I would do if I had that situation. I like to make sure before I go ordering parts that exceed ten bucks or so that the part is really what I must have to fix my Discovery.

I bought a new multimeter at Lowe's for 30 bucks just to help me on such issues. It is a ruggedized GreenLee digital that is a very useful tool.

A lot of problems that do spring up on our older Discoveries can be resolved without having to spend money on expensive replacements. Even if you find a damaged wire, you may be able to fix it. A loose or dirty contact may be your cause. Buy some good contact cleaner spray. Also some people recommend the dielectric grease to coat connections to help keep them dry and clean.

Just be careful and don't short out any power to ground. You may want to pull the battery ground cable off to avoid that for your resistance readings.

When I was a young boy, my oldest brother would remove a light bulb from a big floor lamp we had in our living room. He would talk me into licking my fingers and sticking them in the empty socket just to watch it knock me off the back of the easy chair for his entertainment. I grew up to be an Electrician. Go figure.