Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fuel tank question....sorry

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012 | 01:47 PM
|
Drifting

I am not sure what those olives are for? Do you guys really think its a bad idea to cap that vent?

Last edited by L8brakelou; 07-26-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2012 | 11:11 PM
Camel Trophy

I don't, it's not gonna spray fuel at 36 psi all over the place, over reaction since it's a vent pipe. Does fuel slosh out of it? Have you checked? It does need to be closed off well eh. If it where me I would cap it off from the bottom and the top and fill with something that can withstand the gasoline. They have an epoxy for fuel tanks.

Don't feel handy enough or safe enough, then buy another. I'm sure I'll pooh poohed for giving my opinion and if you go up in flames it will be all my fault. Hey, the world will be one less competitor for sweet corn this year.......

Old 07-27-2012 | 08:20 AM
|
Drifting

Well, I made some calls yesterday and including one to roversnorth.com and everybody told me if the truck runs fine try and cap the top vent on the pump and see what it does on a long drive. I still have the vent from the tank to the filler neck(the discovery tank vent). So i am going to try that this weekend and see what happens. If it fails miserably then I am going to be buying a new pump.

Old 07-27-2012 | 10:22 AM

Good Luck, I would leave the black access off the pump and if it does spray out a short ride will tell you. If any part of the pressurized system leaks it will be rather obvious.

Or throw caution to the wind and fire up a cigarette while you drive. Gas fires are exciting!!!

Old 07-27-2012 | 01:00 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Good Luck, I would leave the black access off the pump and if it does spray out a short ride will tell you. If any part of the pressurized system leaks it will be rather obvious.

Or throw caution to the wind and fire up a cigarette while you drive. Gas fires are exciting!!!
only one way to find out right? lol I may pick up a fire extinguisher just in case

Old 07-27-2012 | 01:32 PM

It amazes me that it worked at all if it was just dangling in the tank and the pump assembly not sealed in place.

Must be a heck of a pump in it. But from what I have heard, the pumps will overheat and strain if they are not in the cooling effect of the excess fuel returning to the tank.

If yours was sloshing I am surprised it coulkd provide adeqaute fuel on a FI system like we have.

When I first got mine, it had a crack in the plastic where he return line joins the plastic top. That sprayed immensely. I tried a lot of different epoxies and sealants with zero success.

I also had corroded fuel lines and a corroded fuel filter that leaked badly.

I bought a roll of tubing and ran new lines. Bought the Pro-line pump and tried to merge the two together with FI rated hoses which has been a source of splits and other leaks at the damdest times.

The unions are to mate the fuel pump to fuel lines. I finally bought those and a new seal which I will get around to before much longer.

If you can get it to work well, that is great, but those pressures will give you leaks and blow poor connections apart so keep that in mind when rigging your afro-engineering fix. Even with FI rated hoses and clamps, I had issues.

Like I said, I would leave the sealing plate off so You see a leak right away. If you fill that beast with fumes and it finds ignition source, you might loose your eyebrows.

If it were me, I would spring the hundred bucks for the right pump.

Old 07-27-2012 | 02:50 PM
|
Drifting

It amazes me that it worked at all if it was just dangling in the tank and the pump assembly not sealed in place.

Must be a heck of a pump in it. But from what I have heard, the pumps will overheat and strain if they are not in the cooling effect of the excess fuel returning to the tank.

If yours was sloshing I am surprised it coulkd provide adeqaute fuel on a FI system like we have.

When I first got mine, it had a crack in the plastic where he return line joins the plastic top. That sprayed immensely. I tried a lot of different epoxies and sealants with zero success.

I also had corroded fuel lines and a corroded fuel filter that leaked badly.

I bought a roll of tubing and ran new lines. Bought the Pro-line pump and tried to merge the two together with FI rated hoses which has been a source of splits and other leaks at the damdest times.

The unions are to mate the fuel pump to fuel lines. I finally bought those and a new seal which I will get around to before much longer.

If you can get it to work well, that is great, but those pressures will give you leaks and blow poor connections apart so keep that in mind when rigging your afro-engineering fix. Even with FI rated hoses and clamps, I had issues.

Like I said, I would leave the sealing plate off so You see a leak right away. If you fill that beast with fumes and it finds ignition source, you might loose your eyebrows.

If it were me, I would spring the hundred bucks for the right pump.
trust me I am not a fan of gas leaks and i about **** my pants when i noticed the pump ring wasn't even screwed on. But after fixing it to the point i have it now there are no leaks at all. I had a cap on the pump vent the other night and drove around and it seemed fine with no leaks.

when I called rovers north and talked to them everything i would need comes out to 177.00 plus shipping and if i can avoid paying that I am going to try to.

Old 07-28-2012 | 12:11 PM

Get a fuel pressure guage and hook up to the schrader vavle on the fuel rail. It is the little tire air vavle looking piece. You should have somewhere around 36 psi. If that is good andno leaks, then have at it.

Good Luck with the other things that are sure to show up.

Old 07-30-2012 | 08:09 AM
|
Drifting

Get a fuel pressure guage and hook up to the schrader vavle on the fuel rail. It is the little tire air vavle looking piece. You should have somewhere around 36 psi. If that is good andno leaks, then have at it.

Good Luck with the other things that are sure to show up.
Yeah I am sure there will always be surprises with a Discovery. But I have had my fair share of VW's and those are wonderful with electronics. LOL

I have not had a chance to hook up a fuel pressure gauge i may try and do that maybe this weekend.

Old 07-31-2012 | 08:16 AM
|
Drifting

Ok so I got a used pump hosing the correct one for the truck, I gotta fix the sending unit wire that is broken on it. But i have noticed that my tank right now is building up a lot of pressure and i haven't capped the vent that is on top of the pump. So i am not sure what is going on now. This started last night(about a 20 mile trip) and on my three mile trip to work this morning it built up a ton of pressure.

So i guess next I am going to fix this housing i got and install it. I am not sure if i should just drop the tank and replace all the hoses like the vent and filler tube. I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions for this?

Quick Reply: Fuel tank question....sorry