Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

gems quetions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts
Default gems quetions

i have 99 4.0 range rover ran extremely good until Sat. night. took a 40 mile run no problems, shut it off it restated when about 30ft took a left and it stalled.

quite unusually it did not restart, i notice the low few light came on when i tried to restart it so I dumped some gas in it, do difference. just cranks.

I have checked all the fuses under the hood and under the passenger seat am i missing any others?

I climbed under and check the fuel filter, it was not blocked and had gas on both sides of it.

But i have no fuel at the rail I tried to reset the inertia switch it didn't not seem tripped still no luck.

So the fuel pump is not running, i check the I/S with a test light and found no power.
does the I/S control power or ground? the reason i ask is because when i touch one wire with my test light the bells and whistle for the dash start to go chime. so i'm thing it most control ground.

any other idea besides the KPS? it there a way to check power to the pump without dropping the tank?

Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Pull the plug on the pump. Stick your test light in there, I forget which pin is power, you'll have to figure that out. The fun part is now you'll have to turn the Key to Position II and quickly run back to the pump to check for power. If there's power at the plug your pump is bad. If there's no power at the plug you'll have to move forward into the drivers rear wheel well and separate and test the plug there.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

The BECM white/purple goes to the Inertia, then from the Inertia it is white/blue to the fuel pump motor. That is the power circuit to the pump. Makes pump motor run.

The ECU controls the Fuel Pump Relay to ground, long enough until it senses at least 33.4 psi then disconnects. That is the control side of the circuit. Pump on/off side. Blue/purple from the Engine Compartment Fuse Box to the ECU.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

well i drop the tank enough to get the plugs (plural) out of the fuel pump.
One plugs has 4 wire the other has three,
the three prong plug must go to the sender when i ground them out with my test light the gauge goes to full.
the four prone plug only have power to one terminal and only for 15 seconds or so.
So i am assuming it is a pump problem