Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

It gets better, The shop couldnt try anything because it could not access OBD 2.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left my ecu unplugged for the last week and plugged it back in today. It seemed to kinda run fine, if I pressed the throttle the rpms would hover high. If I put it in drive and then back into park and neutral the rpms would be normal again. I drove around for a while and it idles normal in drive but now its back to 2000rpm in park/neutral. I assume this is limp mode again. I have replaced both the IAC and the TPS, could there be any other causes. I also checked the wires between the ecu plug and the obd connector, they are all good but my scanner still wont read. I tired multiple scanners, I check the coneection betweent he port and the scanner. All connections are good. I checked the grounds the best I could and they seemed to be fine. I swapped out ECUs, The new ecu seems to be bad. I am completely lost as to how to handle this, I have never had this kinda of issues with a vehicle before.

If anyone wants to talk to me and persona nd give me some advice please do, My name is Ryan, my number is 408 59nine 1two09. Thank you everyone who has been trying to help. It means a lot to have a forums helps.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry for your troubles,

unlikely but are you SURE your throttle isn't sticking open?

Remember if you need to drive it unplug the IACV with the rpms in park around 1000-1200. [not using the gas pedal] You can drive like that for weeks months years, enough time for you to clear your head, take a deep breath and save up a little cash.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:28 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

94 is obd1

Old 09-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Pro Wrench

Its a 97

Old 09-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Three Wheeling

I must say, I think I am about to sell this truck. I am so frustrated with it. I just dont get how I am the only one with this problem.

Coming from BMWs.... I see why land rover has such a bad name. I loved this truck but its testing my faith.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it AEL or non?

Does your CEL come on when you wirst turn the key on?

Does it stay illuminated?

Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Is it AEL or non?

Does your CEL come on when you wirst turn the key on?

Does it stay illuminated?
In not sure what the AEL is.

CEL dose illuminate on the dash when the key is turned.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Pro Wrench

It's worth more working right (not much to begin with)

Have you tried taking it to a dealer? How did you get the 2nd ecu to work. It shouldn't have without bring taken to a dealer

Old 09-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Pro Wrench

Oh you never said it worked. Well it shouldn't. If you have the money take the new ecu and rover to a shop.

Have you ever physically looked at the inside of the throttle

Old 09-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Three Wheeling

I really like this disco a lot. Its a great vehicle when it runs, And i truly would love to keep it. But I am feeling defeated.

Im wondering what could of changed after I did the head gasket, Could something be wired wrong. Something plugged in wrong.

The CEL is on with the key in position 2 but extinguishes when i run the vehicle. I installed the new ECU and hooked up the code reader and it still did not work. I think if I could figure out the OBD2 issues It would go a long way to fixing the idle issue. As of now, I can unplug the MAF and TPS and not get any codes(or at least that i can check) or CEL.

Quick Reply: It gets better, The shop couldnt try anything because it could not access OBD 2.