Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

got my ultraguage in...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Also ensure the MAF is absolutely cooled off PRIOR TO SPRAYING!

It heats up instantly when the engine is on. Let it cool completely so you do not screw up the element.

Remove front ring, remove screen mesh piece, spray into the little hole and invert to drain. I did mine onto a pile of clean paper towels and you could see the black particles flow out.

Repeat in short burst and continue until it runs clear. While it dries, you can unbolt the IACV 2 7/32 bolts and spray the plunger and the hole.

When you put it all back together, you can cycle the key a few times to feed fuel since it was all opened up. This will make it start quicker as well.

Just turn the key to on but not start position then off, back on, off, and back on. It should be ready to start it at that point.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default doing it all in am...

was planning to do everything in morning before work... i guess i will be a lil late, now i need to go get throttle body cleaner... will post how it turns out... thanks again for some much good feedback...

Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No problem Robert. I would get everything needed and some PB Blaster Pentrant Spray as well for loosening tight /corroded bolts and nuts.

Allow plenty of time and work your way thru the whole air intake system, cleaning, checking for vacumn leaks, inspecting hoses and just general looking it over and getting familar with it.

Every time you start one task, you will most likely finds several other things that need some attention, so allow extra time and work your way thru it one good time, then reset all codes, and work your way thru the next or recurring faults.

Change all fluids and filters, get new plugs and most likely wires as well. then ee where it is as far as issues. The more you do to it, the more you learn and the better it should get for you.

Now put money in a plain envelope and send to:

Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Drifting
Default :-)

Looking 4 book of bouncing checks... Hold that thought... thx again... i gotta get the dang thing running so i can go through the rest of error codes from ultraguage... once i get it running tomorrow (power of positive energy (fingers crossed)) should i put some seafoam in engine so i can use it to clean it out before i do oil change?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

curious how your 1313 works out.

just did basically the same but have yet to pull codes again.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Drifting
Default finally got time to do the procedure...

cleaned MAF w/ CRC MAF Cleaner
cleaned UAC w/ CRC Throttle Body Cleaner...
used sponge to clean the air filter case & tubes to intake...

3rd crank... AWESOME... like new car... cleared old errors and drove around for a hour... got it up on highway... ran it for 35 miles @ 80... turned around and went back home at same speed... AWESOME... drove around town @ 30 with stop signs etc... AWESOME... pulled in to get a pack of smokes left truck on... came back out and DAMN... started sputtering again acting like it wasn't getting any fuel... limped home and couldn't get it over 20 miles an hour...

i had already replaced battery, replaced fuel filter, filled it up with Premium and added can of seafoam...

cold it was AWESOME, but once it got warm (not hot) it was much better than it was, but a tease compared to how it ran when it was cool...

any thoughts? no more error codes... tps maybe?

Last edited by RobertBrowning; 04-05-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Might also check fuel pressure and the fuel rail temp sensor (hot re-starts), if you have a data reading scanner look at coolant temp cold (should be local temp, not 40 below zero) and IAT (intake air temp) - to see if these readings make sense.