Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally ordered UltraGuage and got a new tool collection

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Smile Finally ordered UltraGuage and got a new tool collection

More bragging from the D2 section! Just ordered the Ultraguage as advised by Spike and many others on this forum. Cant wait to get back home and play with it. Would be nice to make the install look somewhat factory. Dont want it mounted on the cluster panel, just dont like how it looks. Im thinking about installing it up in the overhead console just below the sunroof controls. There is a blank piece of plastic there, probably where the homelink **** would be if equipped. Anybody try installing it there before?

Finally getting up to date with all the needed service on my Disco so I'm feeling confident. Got the driveshafts serviced/replaced, tie rod ends replaced. Ordered the 180 thermastat and Ultraguage is on its way. New suspension. Most of the fluids have been changed and breaks will be 150% once I get back home. AND just ordered a **** load of new tools to replace my old crappy sets. So its looking pretty good so far and just in time for the upcoming New England winter.... none of this wold have been possible had it not been for this awesome work opportunity I found up here in Alaska!

Hope the rest of you guys are doing well, and servicing is getting up to date and ready for the winter. Ill be returning home November 1st - cant wait! Zack I still plan on stopping by RoversNorth for a visit so let the guys know and dont forget to bring your badass camera!!!!

Stay safe everyone!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Sounds good Julian, sounds like you're finally ready to get your truck ready for some trails!

Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You wont regret the ultra gauge but I wouldnt recommend mounting up high or in a hole. You need to be able to grab it with your free hand so you can press the down button on the back to ignore that pesky **trouble code** or **pending code** screen lol.

I put mine right on top of the ashtray and let the wire run between the crack in the lower dash sections there. Its not right in front of you where youll habitually be looking at it while driving, although you'll do plenty of that regardless of where you put it. But its still easy to glance down at and easy to reach the buttons on back with one hand while at stop lights.

Next you need to get yourself an oil pressure gauge, sure glad I got mine.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Drifting

What's the best oil pressure gauge to get? I'm looking to do this as well. Easy to install?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You should have homelink in the mirror. The older discos had the pod.

Someone posted some photos of toyota guys using a disco overhead console, with the ultragauge in the sunroof switch area.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Drifting

I bought a glowshift gauge with the simple pod. I also ordered my add-a-fuse links from them and the longer wiring harness. I got my M20X1.5 to 1/8 NPT adapter from ebay. The threads on that werent perfect but they were decent enough with some teflon tape. No leaks
If your truck has the oil cooler then that port I used wont be available to you. So maybe pick up the Glowshift oil filter adapter.
I like my gauge a lot. If fits very well just to the left of the steering wheel.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Oil pressure gauge? First Ive heard of it since Ive been a member on here. I figured that a new 180 degree thermostat and the Ultragauge would be enough for monitoring fluids and temps of my D2. So UG does not read oil pressure?

Regarding the install overhead, I could make it so it comes out easily when needed.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
So UG does not read oil pressure?
It's more that the D2 doesn't read oil pressure. It only has a switch for the light... either on or off. I assume if there was an OBD2 live data for oil pressure, the ultra gauge would read it.

EDIT: looking in the manual, it looks like the ultra gauge doesn't support oil pressure. I guess too few cars support this.

Last edited by jafir; 09-11-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Rover decided it did not need an oil pressure sensor or gauge. So none of that info goes to the ECU, which drives the OBDII port. May in some vehicles.

Quick Reply: Finally ordered UltraGuage and got a new tool collection