Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Had a scare

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a scare

so the other day I hear a small KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK from under my engine......I dismiss it as something clunking on something else under the motor like my exhaust vibrating against another piece of metal.....but then it get louder and louder and sounds just like a lower rotating assembly knock. It was pouring out so I found a parking garage and pulled under onto some dry cement. I crawled under and found that the clunking/knocking noise was my catalytic converter. A ceramic chunk must have broken loose inside. I took my hi-lift jack handle and beat the **** out of it and it stopped the noise. So my motor is purring like a kitten, thank god.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who says a high lift jack is useless if you have a winch

Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Mudding

I once got tossed a bunch of crap because I didnt have a winch and I only had a hi-lift jack. Well this one guy who was tossing me shi* about my Hi-lift got high centered on a log in a silty river. Well his 10k winch cable broke and his truck was sinking right in front of our eyes, he was panicking pretty bad and I ran over with my hi-lift, jacked up his front end, pushed his truck over sideways off the log under his front axle and he drove right out. He bought me beers the rest of the night.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AKdisco
I once got tossed a bunch of crap because I didnt have a winch and I only had a hi-lift jack. Well this one guy who was tossing me shi* about my Hi-lift got high centered on a log in a silty river. Well his 10k winch cable broke and his truck was sinking right in front of our eyes, he was panicking pretty bad and I ran over with my hi-lift, jacked up his front end, pushed his truck over sideways off the log under his front axle and he drove right out. He bought me beers the rest of the night.

I don't care who you are, that's funny!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AKdisco

Your a ffffijng saint for saving him. I have a high lift jack as well and no winch. You can use it as a winch if you know how. I read an article in the RN Magazine about a guy in the Rockies in a snow drift winching his Discovery out of a jam and he was alone with just his high lift jack and his other survival gear. He serviced cell phone towers for a living. Saved his life and his Disco by knowing how to use his gear!!!!

How many others are that competent with their gear and their vehicles?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I bought the winch kit with my 60" hi lift. Even when I get a winch I am keeping the hi lift.