Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Headlamp Bulb Type

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

If your having trouble seeing at night with a DISCO your blind as a bat! You need radar not HID's.

I get routinely flashed with H4's. When I flash folks back they can see tomorrow.

So I SEE three problems and your not addressing any correctly, you need to see an eye doc, you need to replace your crappy lenses and you need to correct your wiring issue. All pretty responsible things but instead you've chosen the rude choice, awesome, hope you hit a stop sign.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Vehicles with stock HID setups have bulbs housed in relatively small projector units. The projector sits inside of a larger housing that does nothing except protect the projector from the elements.

A properly done retrofit takes that same projector from a donor vehicle and places it inside of a halogen housing which ceases to do anything other than protect the projector from the elements, just as before. After adjusting the light angle, the setup is now identical in performance to before. The beam brightness, temperature, hi/low beam, and cutoff are exactly the same. No one will be blinded more now than before.

However, placing an HID bulb inside of a halogen housing without a projector does blind people and has no hi/low beam.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Vehicles with stock HID setups have bulbs housed in relatively small projector units. The projector sits inside of a larger housing that does nothing except protect the projector from the elements.

A properly done retrofit takes that same projector from a donor vehicle and places it inside of a halogen housing which ceases to do anything other than protect the projector from the elements, just as before. After adjusting the light angle, the setup is now identical in performance to before. The beam brightness, temperature, hi/low beam, and cutoff are exactly the same. No one will be blinded more now than before.

However, placing an HID bulb inside of a halogen housing without a projector does blind people and has no hi/low beam.
There are Bi-xenon retrofits now. Most are mechanical. Again, HID's in an SAE fluted housing is a nightmare for other drivers, but is manageable in a proper e-code housing. If you're hell bent on doing this, buy the e-code housings for your Disco first.

And a word on diminishing night vision...

When my mom hit her late 50's, she noticed that her night vision was starting to suffer, insomuch that she would see halos around light sources, and her eyes weren't sensitive enough to see comfortably at night. You know what her solution was?

Stop driving at night outside of the city, because it was safer for everyone else on the road.

Intentionally driving at night when you know your night vision is diminished has to be one of the most self absorbed, selfish things I've heard in a while. While it's unfortunate that your sight is declining, putting others lives at risk is wrong.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THe RAVE manual says to use H7 55watt bulbs for lo beams. Someone recommended a Hella H4 55w bulb. What is the difference? Which should I use?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Use 9003 (this is the D1 section). If you want more light go with GE Nighthawk Platinum. They were just on Amazon for $17.95/pr., free ship, plus a $10 mail-in rebate ($7.95 total), but they raised the price yesterday. It was a good deal while it lasted and might come back.

The other good 9003 is the Philips X-treme Power. This one is better regarded in 9003 than the GE by some, but there was no deal on it. Still, the regular price is better than the GE.

Last edited by binvanna; 10-10-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
If your having trouble seeing at night with a DISCO your blind as a bat! You need radar not HID's.

I get routinely flashed with H4's. When I flash folks back they can see tomorrow.

So I SEE three problems and your not addressing any correctly, you need to see an eye doc, you need to replace your crappy lenses and you need to correct your wiring issue. All pretty responsible things but instead you've chosen the rude choice, awesome, hope you hit a stop sign.
Sounds like you're admitting to blinding folks with your awesome H4's.

Like I said, If it's a problem I'll fix it...

As for your hateful remarks, Well, I guess you're just a hateful person and need to take out the frustration of your low IQ on others...

This is not a thread on the morality of HID lighting..
If you feel the need to discuss that.. Please start your own thread..

John

Old 10-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Mudding

Oh, And thanks RacerX, I'll look into those housings..

John

Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
A properly done retrofit takes that same projector from a donor vehicle and places it inside of a halogen housing which ceases to do anything other than protect the projector from the elements, just as before.
The haolgen housing lens on a Disco is designed to work with a halogen bulb. Halogen bulbs and HID bulbs have entirely different properties. It's not possible to get the correct light from an HID bulb in a halogen housing.
And not matter what you do, or the sellers claim, it's not possible and not legal.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is what he is talking about Tom.
I'm not saying I agree with the kit, I think it looks stupid, I have seen it done to many cars around here.
The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications
I do not know if the glass of the housing makes any difference or not.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:48 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Spike555
Thats why I dont speed.
Originally Posted by Spike555
Just because everyone else speeds does not make it right.
If everyone else stole a apple would you?
Here's one your mom asked you, if all of your friends jumped off a cliff would you jump too?
So you're the one holding everyone up, eh? You realize, don't you, that Land Rover speedometers are optimistic by 9-10%, right? (Doesn't apply only to Land Rovers, either.) You're actually going below the speed limit. In a 65 mph zone, you're not even doing 60.

(This is an intentional design feature, not a calibration error. The speedo and the odometer run on the same pulses from the vehicle speed sensor, and are processed by the same microcontroller on the same logic board, yet the odometer is spot on and the speedo is optimistic.)

In a larger sense, proclaiming that you always drive no faster than the speed posted on a sign is equivalent to stating that you sometimes intentionally drive unsafely. It doesn't matter in which lane you drive, in some situations the circumstances are such that driving no faster than the speed limit is less safe than exceeding it. A good driver constantly adapts his or her driving to the prevailing AND anticipated events and conditions. Sometimes the right move is to go slower, sometimes to go faster.

And the same principle applies to pretty much all other "sacred" traffic rules. For instance, I think that running a recently-changed red light is one of the most dangerous things a driver can do. But as much as I try to never do it, I would never say that I would never do it -- if the intersection is clear, the rule about never touching your brake without checking your 6 preempts, and sometimes there is something nasty on your 6 and there is no clear way out except straight ahead.

Quick Reply: Headlamp Bulb Type