Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Headlamp Bulb Type

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving over the speed limit IS illegal, driving under is not
Driving with non DOT headlights/bulbs IS illegal, driving with DOT headlights/bulbs is not
Running red lights IS illegal, stopping is not (Congrats for trying to justify it tho haha)

FOR GOOD REASON!

If you cant see with properly working and adjusted headlights your vision IS the problem and you need to have it checked out, bottom line. Putting others at risk then writing about it on a public forum, you better expect to have some more responsible member call you out. I drive motorcycles and being temporarily blinded is not a laughing matter and I really appreciate the members stepping up to say so!!

my 2 cents... Happy Holidays all

Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rallyemax
And the same principle applies to pretty much all other "sacred" traffic rules.
Unfortunately your logic is faulty. You're comparing apples and oranges.
Speeding - Yeah, even though illegal exceeding the speed limit when in heavy traffic so that you are going with the flow can be safer in general since you're less likely to give crummy drivers an excuse to cut in and out of traffic.
Red lights - yeah, even though illegal, I've gone through red lights when they are stuck and there's no on-coming traffic.

The difference between these two scenarios and HID's is that in the above two you have control of when you do it, with HID's you can't switch back and forth on the fly between legal and illegal/dangerous lighting. If you could, and use HID's only on roads empty of other traffic, and legal lighting when other cars are present, then I wouldn't care if people used them.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrici
Driving with non DOT headlights/bulbs IS illegal, driving with DOT headlights/bulbs is not

FOR GOOD REASON!
I partially agree on this point. I would say that the ECE/ e-code beam pattern is far superior to the DOT beam pattern, and I'm patiently waiting for the day where the NHSTA realizes this too and mandates the change.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I partially agree on this point. I would say that the ECE/ e-code beam pattern is far superior to the DOT beam pattern, and I'm patiently waiting for the day where the NHSTA realizes this too and mandates the change.

Those kits do look nicer than other options I've seen. Due to the poor charging systems and weak headlights on the enduros I have I did look into installing a HID kit on them. After a lot of reading I found it's far better solution to just buy quality bulbs (and what a difference!). I'd recommend anybody thinking of putting in HIDs to do what antichrist said before and get a good set of new bulbs first. Headlights are like and any other bulb, as they age their output decreases. Strictly from a practicality stand point what happens when your ballast burns out? You can't easily (or at least inexpensively) walk into any auto parts store and replace it. Save the HIDs for your off-road lighting.