Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Headlamp Mystery Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlamp Mystery Issue

I've hunted through this site and the web in general and can't seem to find what's wrong.

I have the RAVE manual and a multimeter, I just can't seem to find my problem.

Truck: 1996 Discovery v8

Issue: Headlights don't come on, but, mysteriously, work when switched to brights. However, when in brights, my dash's high-beam indicator lamp is not lit.

Story: Driving home one night, I lost first the right, then the left headlight; but my brights still worked, so I switched to them - but I had to hold the switch toward me, if I let go of it and it returned to its relaxed position, the lamps would extinguish. This got me home. At home I had a bad ground, melted headlamp socket (right), and a malfunctioning multi-function switch. I have replaced the switch, both headlamp sockets and generally torn the truck apart trying to find what's wrong. But: still, all of my lights work properly except my normal headlights.

Any ideas? I'm going crazy here on this one. Both grounds at the headlamp sockets are good, brights are pulling 13.78vdc, regular is getting nothing.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

If you aren't getting power to the low beam side of the socket, check for power to fuses 10 and 11 at the Fascia Fuse Box.
It's weird that you aren't getting the high beam indicator on the dash, it's powered by one of the same fuses as the high beams themselves. Maybe the bulb in the cluster is burned out?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally figured it out after much messing. So, the previous owner wired in some big (8") hellas on the brush guard to the headlamps. Hellas grounded out and took my regular beams with them. Yeah! So, now my lights work, but not the hellas. I'm going to save that for another day.

Thanks!