Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Hellllp! Coolant leaking from beneath my expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:09 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hellllp! Coolant leaking from beneath my expansion tank

I just bought a used 02 land rover disco 2 series 7 a week or so ago....no leaks, had a huge amount of snow here and it ran like a champ, like I knew it would... Felt good about the purchase.. ..went to get oil change which was to include an air filter check.... tech came out said he screwed up and thought he pulled wrong cap and drained atf....they took it to another shop they said the cap wasn't to the atf ( they didn't say what it was to-i will be calling them in the mornin, BTW) and they did go on and check it and it was OK..the transmission fluid that is....so next day, noticed it was leaking coolant... Topped it off and drove ten mules, pulled in driveway and it allllll drained out..WTH???!!!

Last edited by MysteeklRover; 02-21-2016 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Forgot to say how long I had it.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

This does not make a lot of sense. There are two tanks, one on left(drivers side) and one on the right(passenger side). The one on the passenger side is the expansion tank for coolant, the one on the drivers side is the power steering if it has one cap, and power steering/ACE tank if it has two caps.
Neither of them has anything to do with changing oil or filter check.
Sounds like the shop did more damage than good.
My recommendation, learn about your D2, they are not complicated and many things like oil, filter changes can be done by yourself and save a lot of money. Save the mechanic shops for things that are over your head.
Search this forum and ask questions, there are many members itching to help.
Mishandling the coolant lines can snap the brittle plastic parts quickly, and sounds like they cracked one of your lines or the expansion tank itself.
Also, you posted in the D1 forum and not the D2

Old 02-21-2016, 09:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

That's what makes em mysteekl, they leak and we don't know why. This is the early Disco forum. Your more than welcome to relax and enjoy it here and most of us can answer your questions but the Discovery Series II folks are always itching for more fresh meat. Did you check the rubber hose(s) coming off the bottom of the expansion tank?

Old 02-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
This does not make a lot of sense. There are two tanks, one on left(drivers side) and one on the right(passenger side). The one on the passenger side is the expansion tank for coolant, the one on the drivers side is the power steering if it has one cap, and power steering/ACE tank if it has two caps.
Neither of them has anything to do with changing oil or filter check.
Sounds like the shop did more damage than good.
My recommendation, learn about your D2, they are not complicated and many things like oil, filter changes can be done by yourself and save a lot of money. Save the mechanic shops for things that are over your head.
Search this forum and ask questions, there are many members itching to help.
Mishandling the coolant lines can snap the brittle plastic parts quickly, and sounds like they cracked one of your lines or the expansion tank itself.
Also, you posted in the D1 forum and not the D2
thanks!!!!😉

Old 02-21-2016, 10:28 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ihscouts
That's what makes em mysteekl, they leak and we don't know why. This is the early Disco forum. Your more than welcome to relax and enjoy it here and most of us can answer your questions but the Discovery Series II folks are always itching for more fresh meat. Did you check the rubber hose(s) coming off the bottom of the expansion tank?
Not yet ...how do I get to the D2 forum? I'm new at this

Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteeklRover
Not yet ...how do I get to the D2 forum? I'm new at this
Forum menu bar, point, drop down menu appears, VLU, walla.

D2 coolant reservoirs are known to fail and inexpensive from many vendors.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ihscouts
oh yeah, I am learning that slowly.. .high maintenance but tough as nails

Old 02-24-2016, 02:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I gotta be honest, I've been chewing the inside of my cheek, trying not to post on this thread. This for sure belongs over in the D2 section, for more reasons than just because you own a D2.

What in god's name are you talking about, here? What kind of a shop did you go to that would mistake trans fluid for oil? What freakin "caps" are you talking about? Why would you drive away to another shop, possibly with no tranny fluid, or oil, to another shop recommended by the first conflagration of idiots? And lastly, how could you not find the D2 section? It should have drawn you like that electromagnet from Breaking Bad sucked up that laptop.

Goodness....

Old 02-24-2016, 03:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteeklRover
oh yeah, I am learning that slowly.. .high maintenance but tough as nails
.....and melts like buddah in sun. It's all good, everybody has to start somewhere and your doing the best you can. At least it's a Rovah forum and not a Dodge forum (If you can't Ram it, Dodge it!) We here accept everyone, even those with disabilities.......