Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Hello and...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 11:56 PM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Ditch the brush guard and shop vac the hades out of it. I love it. Keep coming with the photos of the interior.
Brush guard already removed. A replacement is what got me to Pickn-Pull in the first place. But it was gone

Here are some more pics

PO calling AAA. "LSE" above the trim line

Super crunchy, but seems to work...

aftermarket amp

kickers. must have sounded great back in the day

tips worn but pretty good condition. Threads were tough all the way out.

one dopey and one good dog. this is really the only shot of the interior I have before wife cleaned seats and dash

Old 09-09-2020, 12:07 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the list. Haven't run across the window ECU mentioned anywhere yet. And haven't actually tried anything to see behavior yet as it's been 110F since I got a replacement battery. But I was thinking it was most likely a regulator issue as they see pretty common. Any chance you have a link to a thread that talks about this?

I do have an OBD reader and shockingly, it came back completely clean.

Another round of pics is pending mod approval.

Any consensus on cleaning the engine compartment? I have a pressure washer and of course a hose. There's pretty good oil spray and I'd prefer to be working on a cleaner engine. Gunk and hose it off?

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
The ABS light is probably a sensor.
The window is probably a bad solder on the window ECU (behind the glove box).
Dump the brush guard. All they do is multiply damage.
Drain every fluid and re-fresh.
Vacuum all that debris out.
That engine bay looks pretty good apart from the leaves.
Get an OBDII dongle and an app for your phone to monitor sensor values, temp, etc, and to clear codes (but not brake codes). It is the best $20-50 you'll spend on the truck and save your hours of time.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 66 Likes on 63 Posts

Congrats on the new Discovery!
I look forward to your updates and getting the truck ready for the road. Hopefully I will be able to chime in with some helpful tips.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

I use whatever will dissolve the oil and let it soak and then hit it with a power washer. I have an electric power washer that’s 1600psi, pretty sanguine.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:19 PM
TReK
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Window could be a blown or disconnected motor, messed up rollers on the regulator, broken regulator, bad switch, or window ECU. Switch is easiest to access. If that checks out pull the door panel and go from there.

Here is a video concerning the window ECU. (yes, a one-armed man can do it)

The following users liked this post:
Toran (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 09:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

OBDII reader needs to be one that recognizes different models and will display model specific codes. Mine also displays live data, helpful in checking out a bad vss....

Old 09-10-2020, 01:10 AM
Mudding

Thanks for that link. That dude is an inspiration. Once I roll back into town and get caught up, I'll throw the new battery in and see what I'm dealing with. Since I was told it's only the driver's window, I'm guessing it'll be a regulator but who knows. Thanks again for the link.

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Window could be a blown or disconnected motor, messed up rollers on the regulator, broken regulator, bad switch, or window ECU. Switch is easiest to access. If that checks out pull the door panel and go from there.

Here is a video concerning the window ECU. (yes, a one-armed man can do it)

Old 09-10-2020, 09:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

Just the other day I rolled down the drivers window just a bit and it went all the way open, and wouldn't close.driving to work , in the rain, and colder temps was a bit of a chore. I waited a few hours for everything to cool off and it closed with no problem. Other windows worked fine. If it ever stops raining and gets above 40 degrees, I'll change the window ECU as I suspect a cracked solder joint. I have a spare unit just for these problems.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:28 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by stillruns
Ditch the brush guard and shop vac the hades out of it. I love it. Keep coming with the photos of the interior.
Looks like the mods quietly approved and slipped in the post where I put up some more pics, but not really much of the interior as my wife had already given it a once-over. But anyway, the post is above in case anyone wants to see what is almost certainly the ugliest and most beat up D1 around these parts. Based on the last-registered date, I think it last ran (and got washed) 12 years ago. Tank was mostly full (which I think is good, actually), but I think the oil was over due when it was shut down before, on top of being 2-3 qts low. It's nasty.

Regardless, it's running great and I'll probably just let it chew through a half tank of the old gas and fill it again. I threw in new copper plugs and STI wires to replace what I think were the originals. Thermostat, then oil and coolant are next. Oh and the Anti Lock Brake light. I've vacuumed or blown out most of the non-oil debris in the engine compartment, so it's starting to look like it should in that regard.

Anyway, the post with the pics that finally got approved is up above

Old 09-17-2020, 08:21 AM
TReK
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

A new fuel filter (located on the frame just forward of the rear wheel on the passenger side) is a good idea. Particularly after that old tank of gas.

Amazon Amazon