Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How do I remove roof bars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, the guys say my badly oxidized/hood roof can be brought back to life with a compound/buffing. I bought the machine and I'm about to do the entire truck this way, except the roof which I will paint as there's too much rust.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Take before and after pix and post, please. Work slowly and in stages, do your test area on a place where it won't show (like the roof, which you plan to paint anyway), or the inside edge of the hood or a door. Even the frame near the radiator. The whole truck had a gorgeous paint job when it left the factory.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Pro Wrench

It really did get a good paint job. I like when it's raining the truck is black and shiny. I'm hoping that is a good sign in so far as how good I can get her. ill take pics for sure. Without jinxing myself this fix is in my skill sets. Fixing my hubs and some of the work I need to do on the D2 are not.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can also add some good reflective insulation on the inside of the metal roof between the roof and the headliner. JC Whitney has some in their on-line catalog.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The paint is quite durable and you may be able to buff it out with a good rubbing compound and polishers. My Disco was severely oxidized and my favorite detail shop buffed it out real nice.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i popped the headliner out on mine and had it recovered at an upholstery shop for $250.
ive done a handful of headliners before but this thing was too wide with too many compound curves for me to have much luck with on my own...

and if youre repainting your roof just be sure to pop the alpines out also... and get the snapon tool for reinstalling the seals, itll make your life way easier and should only take 10 minutes or so per window to reinstall.

good luck!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:47 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my headliner this weekend and had absolutely zero experience with any sort of upholstery.

I have a '98 rover disco that was recently given to me by a family member who just never used it. (I'll only even use it when camping/going to the mountains/picking up boxes that wont fit in my lexus) The car only has 78,000 miles on it, but it's been sitting for a long time so there are some cosmetic issues with it... like the sagging headliner.

I ordered the black material from headlinerexpress. It arrived within a week of ordering it since I liked the black/tan contrast that I saw in photos. Removing the headliner was honestly very easy. All in all, that part took me maybe 20 minutes taking my time to make sure that I got all of the screws properly and placed in an area where I wouldn't lose anything.

After it was out of the car, I used a wire brush to get all the excess glue off. This part, honestly, sucks. It took about 30-40 minutes to get it all off and made a complete mess.

I used the 3M Hi-90 adhesive. sprayed it on 1/2 the fiberglass and on the cloth i was going to lay down. Let it sit for a minute or two before applying it. It wasn't as easy as the pictures made it look >.> . The corners were difficult (remember to stretch it sideways so there is no crease in the front corner) and there are a lot of areas where you really have to stretch it (sunroofs). I made a few mistakes when doing it, but fortunately most of them are in areas that are hard to see or covered by interior trim. I'd say I'm about 90% happy with the job that I did, but it's infinitely better than the sagging headliner and it's not bad for a regular guy's first attempt.

The entire process took me about 6 hours.

While I was up there I was sure to check out the sunroof drain pipes and everything. Fortunately mine looked seriously brand new, so no need to repair/replace them.

Here is the obligitory pic of my finished product:

Name:  NSjpW.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  139.3 KB

Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the encouraging post. I now have the start of a sagging headliner and will want to do this at some point.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I let the insurance company replace mine, $1200 when it was all said and done.
Took 2 weeks because it had to be flown in the the UK.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Spike555
I let the insurance company replace mine, $1200 when it was all said and done.
Took 2 weeks because it had to be flown in the the UK.
dang. would have been nice to do the job yourself, take the money and use it for something else. i remember when I had a (nice) headliner.

Quick Reply: How do I remove roof bars?