Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How to reset Service Engine light on a 1997 Discovery XD Camel Trophy Edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to reset Service Engine light on a 1997 Discovery XD Camel Trophy Edition

I have a 1997 Discovery XD Camel Trophy Edition on which the Service Engine red light came on at around 83k miles. Tried to find the reset switch under the passenger side glove box but found this XD version is different from the regular 1997 Disco. Under the glove box I only found a bunch of yellow relayes and the ECU box. No red color reset switch like the DiscoWeb article describes.
Does anyone experience the same before? or can anyone help me to point to the right location where I can find the switch?
Many thanks!

Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Look for a yellow with pink wire in that area. Reminder unit is above that row of relays.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Still don't find the one with pink wires

So I looked down the glove box above those yellow relayes, still didn't find the switch that has pink wires to it. Above the yellow relays is a medium size black box that has a blue wire plug to it. Beside it is the ECU box.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't know what to tell you if your truck is wired different that the factory manual, as in "Special Vehicles". Since all this does is turn on a reminder to take to dealer, perhaps get to dash cluster wiring and at connector C221 cut wire 7, which is purple with orange.

The ECU is normally under the hood for that year.

The following users liked this post:
thearmlesswonder (04-17-2015)
Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Three Wheeling

Alright, I found the switch. It seemed the previous owner has touched the switch as it was loosen hidden under the back of the ECU box. It was a 83K Emmision Maintenance Reminder(AMR 5551 from TRW). inside it has a 3-pin connector instead of 2-pin as the DiscoWeb article described (the very right pin is obviously emtpy not connected to anywhere. So I shorted the left two and got the Service Engine light off..
The funny part was that on this switch box, there were actually two holes at the top. So if you just punch through the middle hole and try to reset, it won't work as nothing was down there. You have to use the other hole little bit toward the right side to do it. I actually opened up the switch box and found this. It's the dealer's other way to fool people I guess..
Anyway, thank you so much for the help!

Old 04-17-2015, 06:10 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I don't know what to tell you if your truck is wired different that the factory manual, as in "Special Vehicles". Since all this does is turn on a reminder to take to dealer, perhaps get to dash cluster wiring and at connector C221 cut wire 7, which is purple with orange.

The ECU is normally under the hood for that year.
I saw this and it got me thinking .... I just unplugged the whole thing and the light went away. I happy now LOL Maybe someone eles has said the same thing, but I have not seen the post. Thanks guys for turning on to this.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

hi, heres the way i got my service light out.

Pop off the passenger side panel, below the glove box

Up in there you will see a red or orange box

i think you already found that

anyway instead of completely removing it you can poke a small piece of metal though both holes (alan key) while the box is still connected to you car

this gives the box power and enables you to touch two pins together to reset it periodically.